Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Lindsay
My Device: Not Specified

Oct Dev Conference - much point?

My employer has asked if going to the Oct Dev conference in Santa Clara would be of much use to me

Background -  we do embedded software for monitoring of various things including phone calls. I'm experienced in Windows, Symbian (C++/Python), Canon, Ricoh etc, so not unfamilar with embedded devices. Never worked with a blackberry though.

I'm tempted to say no need - that I can just as much utility by working with the dev kits, documentation and online support forums like this one. In the past I've been to 2 - 3 day courses and not found them all that usefull.

Would this seem a fair assesment or would I really be missing info I can't glean online?

Thanks - Lindsay

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: Oct Dev Conference - much point?

I'm going (current economic climate willing....) and expect to get these things out f it:

a) A jump start on some aspects of the development environment that I'm not so familiar with

b) Detailed information on some areas of the API that I need help with

c) Some overview details on areas that my company is interested in

d) The ability to get up close and personnel to a couple of Rim people.

Now (a) is obviously applicable to you, but, since you have never worked on the BlackBerry, I'm not sure any of the other reasons are applicable.  I don't see this a training course, I see this as retraining or refining course.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

i would suggest to start with the developer guides, samples, the forums.
without being familiar to most of the stuff i think the conference is not of much use, at least compared to price and time investment.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
ttahir

Hey Lindsay,

Take a look at one of the recent press releases here (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/newsroom/news/press/release.jsp?id=1817) which describes the various activities at the BlackBerry Developer Conference. Of course also take a look at the session list here (http://www.blackberrydeveloperconference.com/catalog). The conference will include introductory as well as advanced sessions and of particular interest will be the future direction of the BlackBerry platform. I think you would benefit from the jumpstart sessions and labs but because you're already a seasoned mobile developer you'll come away with a more complete picture of what else the BlackBerry platform can offer to help integrate with your product. Being a speaker myself I can tell you we will be covering a lot of content!

Peter, I will see you there!

Tariq

Please use plain text.