Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
ted_hulick
My Device: Not Specified

Open Invitation/Request to Mr. Mike Kirkup....and RIM developer program management...

Mr. Mike Kirkup,

On behalf of myself (and I believe most of the developers in here) - I am requesting (as one who has invested considerable time/effort in your developer program) that you address or find the right people at RIM to address the following issues:

* Signing Server Failures - (getting worse every day...almost unusable)

* Issues with the AppWorld reporting system (poor reporting, frequently asking my server for licenses for versions that don't exist)

* Issues with AppWorld purchase system (broken transactions causing customers to request refunds from us)

* POOR customer support (we have 3 open tickets right now - 1 open 3 months now) - is there really

a live support person at RIM? 

* Many others - but I'd be happy with the first 4...

I "double dog dare" you to take a satisfaction survey and post the results online for all to see...

You out there Mr. Kirkup?  Anyone from RIM care to address or respond to my request...

Anybody else in here want to second or third my request and add to it?

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Open Invitation/Request to Mr. Mike Kirkup....and RIM developer program management...

I did already bring up the topic of the signing servers, i hope RIM can add more stability there and, more then all, be more communicative about it. I am pretty sure they are trying hard, and sometimes it is difficult to maintain critical infrastructure like the signing servers, but openly communicating problems (if they have any) would be a huge step forward.

regarding customer support: free support is sometimes slow, yes.

as an alliance member i can just say that alliance support is even slower, i am often tempted to write the free support without mentioning my company as it is most likely faster.

(not that i have many support cases, maybe 3 or 4 in a year)

i think RIM could get a better market position by analyzing developer feedback and being concerned about developer happyness - but i am a developer and thus of course biased :smileyhappy:

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Re: Open Invitation/Request to Mr. Mike Kirkup....and RIM developer program management...

The signing servers have been an issue for years. In my minds eye, I see a vintage 1990's x486 PC on a very slow DSL line.  :smileyhappy:

I tried to solicit some feedback from our operations folks on issues with App World, and got this response:  The App World volume is so low that it is not a serious consideration.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

yeah. my 2cents

- Fixed the SMS API bug in OS5.  Message does not show up when invoking sms

- Fixed the Menu context in OS5/OS6 for CallLogs.  Getting NULL

- Fixed the System FilePicker.  It has never worked

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Though I have API issues I would like fixed I think it would be better to have a Bug Tracker for developer components, not just API issues.

My college started a little program, it allows for ideas to be presented to the public and for people to buy virtual stock in it (they get a virtual budget). At the end of a semester the administration chooses the highest rated stock and implements it.

Though it doesn't have to be in that manner, it would be useful to have something where people can say "I want a GUI builder", "Can the signing servers get fixed", "We want AMMS to be fully implemented", etc. and for the most desired parts to be implemented.

Just an idea.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
ted_hulick

Rex:

The App World volume is so low that it is not a serious consideration

*** Was this statement made by RIM personnel?  What is not a serious consideration?  This does not bode well for the developer community if this is the general attitude...very sad...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
myamada
My Device: ...

Whoa!! Wait! I don't mean to hijack this thread, but...

>> Fixed the SMS API bug in OS5.  Message does not show up when invoking sms

Is this really a bug? Can someone else comment? I tried this earlier in the week and had that exact issue, and figured I was doing something wrong. It's been on my todo for a little while but before I sink a lot of time into it I'd like to know if is an officially recognized (or widely believed to be) bug.

Thanks!!

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

the sms bug was introduced in OS5. when you invoke the sms your text msg doesnt show up.  I do think rim knows about this and it is fixed on OS6 atleast on the Torch.

I dont know if this is fixed in the lastest OS5 releases.

is there a work around with code example.  do a search in this forum.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
myamada
My Device: ...

Thanks I did a quick search and found the ticket... is the workaround you are talking about the one mentioned there involving Event injection??

I've avoided Event injection related workarounds in the past because requiring that permission is a no-go for mgmt.

Please use plain text.
Developer
mreed
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

If you're having API issues you should log them in JIRA:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira

Please use plain text.