Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Open txt file from mediacard

Hello,

I was wondering how I can open a .txt file on a memory card so that I can read the content?

The file is at the path: file:///testfile.txt

Thank you for any help.

If your question was answered, please accept it as a sollution and / or give Kudos ;-)
My Device: 9000

Re: Open txt file from mediacard

You can open an input stream from the file using:

InputStream inputStream = null;
FileConnection fileConnection = (FileConnection) Connector.open( "file:///SDCard/testfile.txt");
if (fileConnection.exists()) {
inputStream = fconn.openInputStream();
}

To get the input stream as text you can read it to a ByteArrayOutputStream and create a new String from the bytes.

ByteArrayOutputStream byteArrayOutputStream = new ByteArrayOutputStream(); byte[] buffer = new byte[BUFFER_SIZE]; while (true) { int bytesRead = inputStream.read( buffer, 0, BUFFER_SIZE ); if (bytesRead == -1) break; byteArrayOutputStream.write( buffer, 0, bytesRead ); } byteArrayOutputStream.flush(); byte[] result = byteArrayOutputStream.toByteArray(); byteArrayOutputStream.close(); String resultString = new String(result);

Kurt Zettel | Chief Architect | Metova
www.metova.com
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hello,

Is it necessary to sign code if you want to read and write content into a file.txt in the memory card?

Developer
My Device: 8520

No. It does not require code signing.

But to be sure check http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/4.7.0api/index.html to see if there are any signed elements

Got resolved! Press kudo icon!