Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
jlgosse
My Device: Storm 9530

OpenGL ES

Alright, so I've downloaded possibly everything that could possibly contain the new OpenGL ES libraries, but have found nothing that could possibly be what RIM says is offered for OGL ES development.

I've found the following packages:

javax.microedition.khronos.egl

javax.microedition.khronos.opengles

net.rim.device.api.opengles

And none of them do any sort of drawing or work on a canvas.

NOTE: All three of these packages are in both Beta 4 and Beta 5 of the JDE, and none of them seem like they are used for drawing.

Any suggestions?

BlackBerry Mobile Software Developer
http://www.mobilitea.com/blog/
Please use plain text.
Developer
ydaraishy
My Device: Not Specified

Re: OpenGL ES

What do you mean? I'm not familiar with OpenGL, but I did a small amount of research and it seems everything should be there as it should (maybe I'll give it a play when I have some time).

For example, if we take the most basic example from, say, here: http://web.me.com/smaurice/AppleCoder/iPhone_OpenGL/Entries/2009/3/28_OpenGL_ES_01_-_Drawing_Primiti... all the methods described there to draw that triangle port over to what RIM has provided here.

Please use plain text.
Developer
zany
My Device: Storm

[ Edited ]

Hi, i think above mentioned link was broken. can you please confirm the link once

thanks

with regards,
Vignesh J

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to mark your post as solved if you get the answer and dont forget to give kudos if the answer is useful for you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Have you tried it or are you looking for info on how to use it? If you made a quick app did you try it on a simulator or a real device? I wrote a test application and when I tried it on 5.0 Beta 4 the Simulator just flashed, on 5.0 Beta 5 Simulator it crashes when I try to open the app.

Edit: I think I just figured out your post,

javax.microedition.khronos.egl

javax.microedition.khronos.opengles

net.rim.device.api.opengles

is what RIM introduced for OpenGL ES.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
zany
My Device: Storm

[ Edited ]

Hi, i am looking for some informations / small samples of OpenGL ES to work it out. Till now i was not able to get anything in positive :smileysad:

if you know any link to get informations / small samples for OpenGL ES in blackberry, please share with us. It will be really useful for us

Edit: I am having one more question. How easy is it to do animation in Blackberry app using OpenGL ES?

thanks in advance

with regards,
Vignesh J

Don't forget to mark your post as solved if you get the answer and dont forget to give kudos if the answer is useful for you.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
rodrifox
My Device: Bold 9700

Well, so far my BlackBerry-OpenGL experience is very frustrating. Although there is some documentation from RIM about OpenGL in SDK 5 (and in fact the packages needed are out there as you mentioned), I couldn’t draw a single 3D object. Sample code isn’t working either (random behaviors, crashed simulators, blank screens and so on). I think it’s a normal stuff: we’re working on beta releases and only a few months ago we were discussing about *when* this openGL thing would be ready :smileysad:

-------------
Rodrigo Bravo
http://www.wilkonit.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

OpenGL is not really easy because of the speed many need to achieve with it. Thus you need to basically micro-manage it which is not something you do in Java.

There are some basic CLDC samples: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/11942/Creating_2-D_and_3-D_graphics_using_Open...

rodrifox: What are some of the problems you are having? You get an error, the screen doesn't draw, Well actually you do mention some problems. The thing is OpenGL is only supported on 9520 and 9550 right now so if you use any other simulator though it might work, it is not guaranteed to work.

The other big thing is use GLUtils.isSupported, it seems pretty obvious but it seemed to work on my Storm 9530 with the exception that it did random behaviors, crashed, blank screens and so on. I am very happy there is finally a 3D API for BlackBerry, I just wished more devices would support it.

Either way if you have an issue put it up on these forums, we are here to help.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.