Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
mistapony
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Orientation Listener

I am trying to figure out how to write an orientation listener.  The api docs do not have a very concrete example on how to do this.  Basically what I need to do is change some field images depending on what orientation we are in.  What is the best way to create a listener to do this. 

Thanks.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Orientation Listener

There isn't a listener for screen orientation changes.  The sample in the current beta 4.7.0 developers guide is not accurate.  The sublayout method is called when an orientation change occurs, however there are also other triggers for this method. 

What you can do is override this method and use the Display.getOrientation() method to check the orientation.  You'll need to track the previous orientation within your application.  You can also call super.sublayout to trigger the default layout behaviour for the manager.

I have sent this update to our documentation team for correction.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
mistapony
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Orientation Listener

Thanks I ended up overriding layout and added code in there that would change specific images determined by Display.getOrientation.  This seems to be working well.

thanks.