Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
StevenP
My Device: Not Specified

PDF Renderer Component?

Is there a PDF renderer component that anyone knows about that I can use for development purpose (preferrably open source but I would like to know about any)? I need to be able to incorporate PDF viewer and basic functionality in an app I am developing.  I know there are several JAVA 1.5 libraries available but not for Java ME.  Any ideas on how difficult it would it be to convert SwingLabs' PDF Renderer to Java ME?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
StevenP

Re: PDF Renderer Component?

Curious, are there other developers that would want this ability in their BlackBerry apps (to view PDF files)? If there are no libraries available it might be worthwhile porting an open source version over.

Please use plain text.
Developer
davidmccormack
My Device: Galaxy S II
My Carrier: Meteor (Ireland)

The BeamBerry guys have a frighteningly fast PDF renderer for the BlackBerry and is definitely worth checking out. I see just now that they've renamed themselves to SLG Mobile. Also, their product line has expanded a bit since I last checked them out and it's not clear to me which one supports CHAPI (JSR-211) which is the API you need to use to invoke it programmatically. Visit http://www.slgmobile.com/ for more.
Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Given things like screen size, BW, and CPU the more appropriate strategy has been transcoding

which RIM and others support. I've been using itext for parsing and conversion to text, not

sure about options for rendering.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
StevenP

I thank both of you for your responses.  I'll look into both of your options and get back when I find the solution.

Please use plain text.