Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Permission Questions - Prompt acts differently on different devices

I have a few questions about permissions and prompts. Most importantly this has to do with making a data connection and using GPS

QUESTIONS

1. Prompts & Allow - Remove Notice?: When installing my app (signed) on various devices, some devices prompt the user about making a data connection and some do not (the connection is just made). I check the permissions, and on both devices they are data connection is set to prompt. Why would one device just make a connection and the other requires a prompt? NOTE: both devices are on the same carrier (verision) and and are not restricted by BES.

2. Premission Dialog in Recent Build: In the recent build the user is promted about allowing a data request. In previous version builds this pompt never occured (even though both builds make a data connection that might require a prompt). For the life of me I can't tell what I might have changes that resulted in pompts now occuring. Is there anything I should check in the build/project/files so these prompts wont appear any longer?

3. Set Permissions On Install?: Is there any way to enforce permissions (say to allow) on install of the app? I know I can do invokePermissionsRequest but that will then occur during when running the app. Ideally I'd like to get permissions settled without user involvement or during install.

Some facts to note:

• Developing for 4.2.1 and above
  • Apps are  signed
  • Apps make use of data connection and GPS 

Thanks in advance. 

Developer
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Permission Questions - Prompt acts differently on different devices

Unfortunately, the only way to set permissions from your application is by using invokePermissionsRequest as you mentioned.

As for the prompt, it could be that the default setting is set to allow on one device and prompt on the other. Also check if the OS version is the same. I did got different behavior for different OS versions.

Rab