Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
nebuhcaneza
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

PhoneCallLog Device 8830 Error

Hello,

I am currently dev/testing an app on a Blackberry 8830. I have stress-tested the application in the 8800 series simulator that is bundled with the JDE v4.2.1 and everything works great. I have deployed the application on the handheld and when I attempt to get a phone number in the PhoneCallLog I am getting a NullPointerException. I have read in a variety of threads that OS 4.3 returns a null context. But my device shows v4.2.2.176 (Platform 3.0.0.76). I am wondering if anyone knows of this issue and how to correctly get the PhoneCallLog object?

I am also wondering how do I remove an application from a device? When I goto Options>Advanced Options>Applications>Modules I see my application name but the menu has only permissions options no delete. Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated. I loaded the application using the javaloader that comes with the JDE.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Re: PhoneCallLog Device 8830 Error

I assume you are talking about using ApplicationMenuItem to retrieve the object?

If so, then all versions of BB OS that I have tested return a null context object on the PhoneCallLog if the "view" of the log is set to anything other than "Call Log".

Open the Call Log screen, select Options / General Options, and look at "Phone List View".

Please use plain text.
Developer
nebuhcaneza

Hi Rex.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was meaning ApplicationMenuItem, I guess that is pretty important information to leave out.

Your suggestion seems to have worked. Strangely enough I did a handheld wipe last night and loaded my application using desktop manager. I then tried running it and it worked fine. So I am guessing that the wipe probably changed the option to CallLog on install and after calls come in it changes to most recent? Do you know of a way to force that change programmatically? The change to CallLog in the options I mean?

Thanks again for the help.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

There is no way to change it, other than the menus.

One work-around is to select the option to have your missed calls go to the messages list. From the messages list, the CallLog context seems to work correctly in all versions that we have tested. Of course, you will have to place your MenuItem on the Messages list and the Message View screens to get the object.

See this FAQ:

http://rexwireless.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=448#p1491

Please use plain text.
Developer
nebuhcaneza

Rex,

Thanks for more information regarding this issue. I appreciate the suggestions. I will look into migrating the call log view to the message view. Am I correct to assume though that the CallLog option change will only show outgoing calls made or will it also show incoming calls?

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

All calls, if that is what you select in Call Options.
Please use plain text.
Developer
nebuhcaneza

Perfect. I think this is acceptable for my needs.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.