Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

PhoneScreen Support in 6.0

We have a application that uses the OS 5 PhoneScreen API. When running on a OS 6.0 9800 Torch device the PhoneScreen part of our application doesn't work - it doesn't give exceptions or errors, it just doesn't display on the screen, even though the API says PhoneScreen is supported. I understand OS 6.0 has a newer set of APIs and the 5.0 APIs are deprecated, but typically RIM deprecated APIs at least still work on newer devices. We can compile our applicaition using the OS 6.0 JDE and the compiler recognizes the PhoneScreen 5.0 APIs. We have tried running the OS 6.0 sample "phonescreendemo" and it doesn't run on the JDE 6.0 Simulator, and neither does the OS 5.0 sample 'phonescreendemo". On the 9800 Torch the OS 6.0 "phonescreendemo" sort of works (the Location briefly flashes on the screen and then is replaced by a white rectangle), and the OS 5.0 sample does not work.

My concerns/questions are:

- Are the OS 5.0 PhoneScreen API calls suppose to work under OS 6.0? If they are not suppose to work why are they still in the library and our code compiles to this?

- Why doesn't the 6.0 "phonescreendemo" sample work in the JDE 6.0 simulator?

- Are there known problems with PhoneScreen support on the 9800 OS 6.0.0.141?

We're trying to avoid having to have a separate 6.0 build for these changes to the API.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: PhoneScreen Support in 6.0

[ Edited ]

There is an issue with the PhoneScreen API in the BlackBerry 9800 Simulator (6.0.0.141) currently included with the 6.0 BlackBerry Java SDK and BlackBerry JDE.

This should resolved in a future release.

Both demos should work individually in 6.0 (meaning you can only use one of them at a time).

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: PhoneScreen Support in 6.0

Thank-you Mark for clairifying the issue with the simulator. Could you please find out about the support for the OS 5.0 PhoneScreen APIs in 6.0? If an application uses the PhoneScreen does it require separate 5.0 and 6.0 releases?

Are the OS 5.0 PhoneScreen API calls suppose to work under OS 6.0? If they are not suppose to work why are they still in the library and our code compiles to this?