Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: storm 2

Physics Engine for BlackBerry

Hi All

We've developed a physics engine for blackberry smartphones that runs quickly without lag.  We're planning on releasing it in 3-4 weeks and we intend to charge for it.  

If you're interested, do you consider 5 cents per app sale reasonable? Or would you prefer a percentage of the app price e.g. 3%?

Developer
My Device: Torch

Re: Physics Engine for BlackBerry

You plan to charge everyone who uses your framework per sale? I don't know if that is possible but either way your engine should really offer something special. Otherwise I am not sure that many people would be willing to be charged per sale.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the button to give kudos if I helped you :smileyhappy:
Developer

Well at the moment there aren't any physics engines for blackberry that perform well.  JBox2D is unusable due to garbage collection.

Perhaps we might offer flat pricing as well.  I'm just soliciting interest - are people interested in a physics engine and what would they be willing to pay (or how).

Developer

I personally think it is best to provide both ways of payment and let your clients choose.

Then about the interest in such engine - if it is stable and easy for developers I think there would be interest. Looking forward to seeing it released. Add some demos if possible so we could get an idea of what the engine is capable of.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the button to give kudos if I helped you :smileyhappy:
New Contributor
My Carrier: Generic

Did this ever come out? I would totally be behind giving you a portion of the profits made from an app.

Developer

Yes we've just used it in a recent game release.

It's lacking proper collision detection at the moment but it seems to run very fast on blackberry.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Generic

[ Edited ]

Can it be used publicly yet or is this still unfinished. If so where could I find a link so I could download and look at the code?

Also by proper collision detection do you mean that it only kind of works and there are still bugs or that it's not implemented yet.

Developer

Well it'd require a couple of weeks work to get it ready for other developers.  At the moment you're the only person interested so it doesn't seem financially viable!

New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Digicel

Which game did you release? I would be interested.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I think we would need to know what kind of features this engine had before we could recommend a price to you :smileyhappy:.

Personally, I think that if the engine any decent help to the designer, 3% is far too low.

Scott