Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
spainb
My Device: Not Specified

Problem using Desktop Application Loader to deploy my application

I am trying to get through my first BlackBerry application install process, with difficulty.

I have compiled my CDLC application using the BlackBerry JDE, v 4.3.0.1r

I am trying to install onto my BlackBerry 9000 running v4.6.0.125.

I have developed an application, which relies on several libraries.  All the projects are contained in a single Workspace.

First, I am a bit confused - when I "Build All", will my application and the supporting libraries be compiled into a single .cod file that I can deploy, or do I need to deploy the .cod file for the application, plus all the cod files for the libraries?

After doing a Build All, I go through the code signing process, with no apparent problems.

I then create an ALX file, which is placed in the same directory as the .cod file for my main application.

If I go to Desktop Manager (version 4.6),  and go to the Application Loader, after selecting the ALX file, I am presented with a tree outline in the Device application selection list, that appears to reflect the dependencies between my application and the different libraries.  If I check the listing for my application, nothing else is selected automatically.  If I check some of the dependencies, it updates the UI to apparently only allow a dependent file to be selected once, despite how many times it may appear in this dependency list.

Anyway, when I click next, I receive the error "The application 'my application name' cannot be loaded because some required files are not available."

I have copied all the library .cod files into the same directory as my application cod file and the alx file, but this does not help.

I don't even know where to look to begin to debug this. 

Arg! Help please...

Thanks

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Problem using Desktop Application Loader to deploy my application

Hopefully I can help with some of this.

"when I "Build All", will my application and the supporting libraries be compiled into a single .cod "

Not likely but possible.  In your Workspace it appears you have multiple Projects, each Project builds into a separate cod file that you name using the Properties of the project (Build Tab).

"create an ALX file, which is placed in the same directory as the .cod file for my main application.".  If everything you need is in the one Workspace and correctly specified, this will generate an alx that should work.  However I would create my own.  If you do what you are suggesting you will end up with a huge tree like structure, as you suggest.  What I do is simplify it all, so the alx just has a list of all the files.  Sample below.

"The application 'my application name' cannot be loaded because some required files are not available".  Probably just means it can't find some of the file listed in the alx.  If you create a simplified alx, this will probably sort it out for you.

The following alx is for an application that has one UI component and two dependent libraries.  The 'generate alx, generated an alx that was over 100 lines.  But this is all that is really needed.

<loader version="1.0"> <application id="xxxx"> <name > Mame </name> <description > Description </description> <version > n.n.n </version> <vendor > my company </vendor> <copyright > Copyright (c) 2008 my company </copyright> <fileset Java="1.0"> <files > com_mycompany_UI.cod com_mycompany_Library1.cod com_mycompany_Library2.cod </files> </fileset> </application> </loader>