Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: none

Problems with BlackBerry Advertising Service

I am trying to integrate several advertising banners into my app, but there appeared a lot of problems.

Firstly, the banners can only be clicked (pressing the trackpad/trackball), they don't receive touch events.

Secondly, the bitmap used as custom placeholder is never shown. I am using a bitmap of the exact same size as the banner, but it is never shown. For example, I'd expect it to be shown as soon as there is no network coverage and thus no new banner can be retrieved from the server.

Thirdly, as soon as I change back to a previously opened screen with a banner, only the banner's border is visible, the rest disappears. Let's say, I open screen MyScreen, containing a banner. The banner is shown and from MyScreen, I open a new screen to display some additional information. After closing this screen and MyScreen becomes visible again, the banner has disappeared, only the border is still visible.

I have carefully read the documentation on the BlackBerry Advertising Service, so I don't think it is a critical error in my source code, but maybe there is something else to be considered. Hopfefully, someone of you has already some experience on this topic and can help me.

I'd appreciate any help!

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: none

Re: Problems with BlackBerry Advertising Service

The second problem was just solved by refreshing and manually rebuilding the project's resources.

However, the two main issues still persist. Especially that the banner disappears on re-opening of a screen is a severe problem. I was able to narrow down the reason for this problem to the following scenario:

I have 3 screens which are connected by a navigation. Each of the screen knows his left and/or right "neighbour" screen. When the main screen in the middle is instantiated, its left and right neighbours are instantiated as well and the references to these screens kept in the navigation. The purpose of this is that I don't have to create a new instance each time one of the neighbours is opened. The banner is always visible on the main screen, for which popScreen is never called. For the neighbours, popScreen is called to return to the main screen. As soon as I reopen one of the neighbours with the exisiting screen instance (e.g. leftNeighbourScreen), its banner can still be focused and thus the border becomes visible, but the content is not loaded anylonger.

Is there a way to manually reload a banner or force the banner to refresh its content?