Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 8700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Programmatically adding a new e-mail message into the BlackBerry inbox.

I know that this is possible using the MessageList API which was introduced with RIM OS 4.6, but I've seen other applications do this using RIM OS 4.5 or earlier.

The qustion is, how do you programatically create a Message and then insert it into the BlackBerry inbox so that it looks and behaves like a regular e-mail message; meaning, it has the same envelope icons (not draft icons), and it can be opened, forwarded, replied-to, etc?

Creating a Message is simple enough. And adding a message to the inbox is also trivial using the API's available even under early RIM OS versions. But added messages behave like draft messages (different envelope icon, and can't be forwarded, or deleted from the message view), rather than incoming e-mail messages. And yet, I've seen programs using earlier versions of the RIM JDE than 4.6, placing e-mail into the inbox. 

Is this done directly via some manipulation of the persistent store rather than through the mail api?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Programmatically adding a new e-mail message into the BlackBerry inbox.

It depends on how you're currently doing it. If you want an e-mail message to come in as if it were new, you may have to set the status to delivered to "fake" it coming in as a normal message.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful