Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
ubermitchy
My Device: Not Specified

Programmatically invoking Blackberry Attachment Service

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there's a way to invoke the Blackberry Attachment Service and passing it some Word document data (or a location) from within a java application.  I'm guessing the Attachment Service is (currently) the only native Blackberry application that is able to display Word document files... 

In short, I would like to be able to view (no need to edit) a Word document from an application I'm writing, and I would like to know what native application I can invoke to make this happen.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Programmatically invoking Blackberry Attachment Service

[ Edited ]

There aren't any APIs in the BlackBerry API set that allow for viewing and editing Word documents.

Version 4.5.0 of BlackBerry handheld software includes Documents To Go by DataViz Inc., which does allow a user to view and edit local Word documents.  These can be leveraged by using JSR 211 Content Handler APIs.  Have a look at the chapidemo included with the version 4.5.0 BlackBerry JDE for an example.

Message Edited by MSohm on 11-20-2008 12:38 PM
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
hlukito

Hi all: 

Let me just try to understand this issue with respect to ASP .NET development as well.  I've developed a .aspx page that would display Word/Excel document in the regular IE/Firefox browser.  However, when I attempted to access the .aspx page from Blackberry browser, I'm getting HTTP 503 error. 

Is this due to that fact that Blackberry browser can not 'launch' the Word/Excel viewer(Documents To Go) automatically?  Is there any way that I can mimic the behavior of a 'regular' IE/Firefox browser? 

Thanks all

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

I recommend to check the logs for your web server and BlackBerry Enterprise Server to determine the source of the 503 error.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
neek2000

Try this :

BrowserSession browserSession = Browser.getDefaultSession(); browserSession.displayPage("file:///" + current + item.name);

Please use plain text.