Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Programmatically unlocking a locked keyboard

Right now it doesn't appear possible to programmatically unlock a keyboard that is locked - at least, not using any techniques I've seen. I'd even settle for the ability to push a screen on top of the locked keyboard screen and while that screen is active gain control of the event thread. The RIM native alarm program is able to do this.

Is this functionality on the API roadmap and when might we see it (or is it in there now and just undocumented?)

Cheers,

Neil.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Programmatically unlocking a locked keyboard

Applications are not able to programmatically unlock a BlackBerry, nor are they able to display information on top of the lock screen.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

so if i have an app that is triggered by a Timer to display a screen the user would NEVER see or know about it until the keyboard is locked? can i atleast play a sound or vibrate to get the user attention?

My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

You are able to play sounds and vibration while the device is locked. You may find the Notifications demo a valuable starting point as well. This is one of the demos in the BlackBerry JDE. You are able to play media files, vibrate, flash the LED (in multiple colours and patterns) or even play specific tones, and you can add an entry to the Profiles list so the user can set the volume or determine which of the notifications they would prefer for each profile on the device.
Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead
New Developer

[ Edited ]

MSohm wrote:
Applications are not able to programmatically unlock a BlackBerry, nor are they able to display information on top of the lock screen.

Strictly speaking, that's not true. RIM applications are able to display user-interactive screens on top of the locked keyboard screen. It's just us third-party application developers who can't.

My real question was is adding in access to this functionality on the API roadmap and when can we expect to see it?

Message Edited by Neil on 07-17-2008 10:41 AM
Developer

Why is it not possible to unlock a locked keyboard? It would be so cool! Can't I invoke the keyinjector and programmically press the star and the phone-key?
If your question was answered, please accept it as a sollution and / or give Kudos ;-)

> "My real question was is adding in access to this functionality on the API roadmap and when can we expect to see it?"

I second that question. This is one of those features that RIM needs to expose to 3rd party developers, even if there is some extra security hoop we have to jump through to use it.

Mike Walker
CellAvant, Inc.
www.CellAvant.com
New Developer

i can buy a distinctive design with distinctive pin number of blackberry?

My Device: Blackberry 8320
My Carrier: t mobile

There are app out there already to mimic the "unlock keyboard" process so that user do not have to type in the long password (of course, they typed it one time to the app at the beginning).

so i think there is way to use certain API to simulate the "unlock keyboard" process upon "out of holster"?

thanks

Richard

Contributor

If the device is not password protected, and all you want to do is turn the screen back on after the user has hit the lock button on their device, I've had success showing the screen again by using net.rim.device.api.system.Backlight.enable(true);