Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
dannit
My Device: Not Specified

Push Essentials service

Hi.

I'm developing an newsletter application that should receive push notifications when new data is available. I'm searching for a long time for how to accomplish that but I still don't know how to get this service from RIM.

I must say that RIM docs on this matter are poor. I'm not sure if I understood how it works, but I want to have it for free, BIS only. It is possible with push essentials, right?

Did anybody have passed through this before? What are the steps to have this service?

I have already tried to apply for ISV Alliance Group, but I still don't get an answer. So, I signed up for Blackberry Push API and I'm waiting for the answer.

Thanks in advance.

cheers

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Re: Push Essentials service

RIM is working on a free Push service, I don't know when it will come out but I'm guessing mid-2010 (many other RIM updates, services comming around the same time), For now the only way to get it is through ISV Alliance Group but you tried that already.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
dannit

So is it possible through ISV Alliance Group? I may try again.

And after that? Do I need anything else but registering for the push api?

Thank you very much for your response rcmaniac.

cheers.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Bullety
My Device: Z10

Dear dannit,

Did you get any further with your matter?

I'm exactly at the same point - I now registered for the free BlackBerry Alliance Program (is this ISV Alliance?) and sent a request for the Push Api (I want to use the free Push Essentials).

I don't want to pay anything for the application because I simply want to try the development with the Push Api and don't know if my application will ever work.

Best regards,

Bullety

Please use plain text.
Developer
dannit

Hi Bullety. Unfortunately not. I applied for the ISV and push API again, but I never got a response. So I gave up and changed my approach to client-side push, with a background application that asks the server for update every xx minutes. That was easy and is sufficient for my problem. If you are also interested in that, check my other post: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Pushing-global-screen-message-from-a-backgro... That is how I accomplished it. Best regards.
Please use plain text.