Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
jvan
My Device: Not Specified

Pushing text content to a device

Hi All,

I've written an application that stores/reads some text in the BB Persistence storage. I would like to be able to have this text content updated at the server level, and pushed down to the device. The amount of text data could be anywhere between 1 byte and 1 MB. I'm sure this concept is rather common -- but I am just beginning and have no human resources to use and no BES server to experiment with.

From my current understanding, in order to do this I would need to create a server-side push application with, say, PHP. I would also need to write a background BB JavaME application that constantly ran and listened for the specific push.

Is this a correct approach/understanding? Also, is there a way to simulate the use of a BES server?? It is my understanding that I need this as well to test my proposed functionality.

Thanks!

Jordan

Developer
guperez
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Pushing text content to a device

Hi Jordan,

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot actually push information to the device without the BES. What you can do is simulate it. One option is to send an e-mail (or a SMS) to the device that your background application can recognize as a messagem that it should "call home". That is the most common way. Another approach is to make small requests from time to time.

Regards,

Gustavo