Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
ozmrdn
My Device: Not Specified

Question about deploying app to blackberry device

Hi,

i want to deploy my application to blackberry device. Im using sybase unwired platfrom, according to sources i'm able to make connection between BES and Unwired Server. so i'm new for the blackberry developing and my question is, is that possible to make connection from bes to unwired server ?

Thanks in Advance

Please use plain text.
Developer
sonicboomboy
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: some

Re: Question about deploying app to blackberry device

What does your app look like? Is it a java app? And what do you want to get finally?

Got resolved! Press kudo icon!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ozmrdn

Thanx for replying sonicboomboy, it is a simple blackberry application like a receving data from DB. I want to run my application on a real device.

The sybase platfrom has its own server and mydatabase and other stuff like webservice etc. are in that server so there is an architecture in the following link that shows the relation of the BB device and the unwired server :

http://www.sybase.com/files/Data_Sheets/Sybase_Unwired_Platform_BlackBerry_ds.pdf

i never used the BES, i wanna know if i can connect to the other servers.

Thanks in Advance

Please use plain text.
Developer
sonicboomboy
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: some

you can absolutely connect over different protocols (wap, direct tcp, bes, bis,wi-fi)

Check you this for more info http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Connecting-your-BlackBerry-http-and-socket-c...

Got resolved! Press kudo icon!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mobilityguyATsap
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Did you get this resolved? I am in the middle of building and deploying a simple application as well and am figuring out the plumbing as well. 

My understanding is that if your BES server has been configured to "see" the SUP server, then you are okay. If not, then you can make use of the Relay Server that is also part of the architecture. Sybase does have a hosted relay server that you can register on and use for no charge. Once you make this connect, you use something called the RSOE to connect your SUP server with the relay server and your device connects to the relay server.

Make sense?

MobilityGuyATSAP

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
skchopra

I am also facing similar kind of issue. The application runs fine on the simulator with the mds running in the background. But when I run the application on a device it does not connect to the sybase unwired platform even though I am connecting via the sybase hosted relay server. I am using the following piece of code to set connection properties

getSynchronizationProfile().setServerName("RELAYSERVER.sybase.com");
getSynchronizationProfile().setPortNumber(80);
getSynchronizationProfile().setNetworkProtocol("http");
getSynchronizationProfile().setNetworkStreamParams("url_suffix=server farm info");
getSynchronizationProfile().setDomainName("default");
On checking the mds logs I found out that an http connection is being opened using the following url
with the content in url_suffix being sent as POST data.
This is where the problem is. In Blackberry we need to append connection parameters at the end of the url. For example to use wifi we need to append ";interface=wifi".
Hence my question is how to append these connection parameters while using the code generated by sybase unwired platform so that we can run the app over a wifi network 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mobilityguyATsap

Here are a couple of things to check....most important would be the use of the RSOE. Did you start the RSOE for replication and do you see it connecting to the Relay Server successfully?

I don't think you need those special parameters at the end....I have successfully deployed a very simple BB app and it works without the "interface=wifi" that you reference.

MobilityguyATSap

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
skchopra

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply MobilityguyATSap.

I have started the RSOE. To setup the relay server I followed the instructions given in the following url

"http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01205.0152/doc/html/ldi12..."

In the "relayserver.properties" file I updated the details for both replication based and messaging based synchronization. On running the "startrsoe.bat" file, I saw three services which were started successfully. I can also see them in Windows services as started. These are

SybaseUnwiredPlatform"SERVERNAME"IMORSOE1 - Messaging Server RSOE 1

SybaseUnwiredPlatform"SERVERNAME"RSOE1 - Unwired Platform RSOE 1

SybaseUnwiredPlatform"SERVERNAME"WebServerRSOE1 -  Web Server RSOE 1

On running the app on simulator with mds simulator running in the background via the relay server the app runs fine, so this means the relay server configuration is fine and the connection with relay server is getting established.

The MDS simulator works like a BES server. Because of this if I run my app from a blackberry device using a BES server then It will work. But my requirement is to run the app outside of the BES environment also. For example if a user does not have a BES and uses the mobile service provider's BIS server or just a wifi connection then also the ap should run and for these the connection parameters are needed.

Since you had mentioned you had deployed a simple blackberry app, did you run it from within a BES environment or without BES and also was the connection made using a wifi.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mobilityguyATsap

I will need to research a bit more. It's not entirely clear to me when a "BES" is in use or not in use. When an application is deployed and configured to use the "relayserver", I am not sure how and when the BES is being used.

At this point, have you actually deployed the app that is successfully running to a real device?

Next question, sounds like your configuration is correct but to be sure can you check two things? When you display the properties for your SUP server in Eclipse, do you see the information for the relayserver displayed or your SUP servername?

Next question, if you open the settings icon on the simular for your blackberry, you will see an entry for the application that you built "Testapp" as an example, when you open it you can view the connection profile...I assume you see the relayserver listed as the connection point, not your server?

I will investigate further your question...good for me to know :-)

Take care

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
skchopra

mobilityguyATsap,

Thanks for taking time out and helping me with my query.

When I say deploying the app, at the moment it means that I have signed the app and installed on a Blackberry device, but the application cannot connect to the sup server.

For your first suggestion, I checked the properties of the Unwired server in Eclipse. There in the configuration settings for the sup server I do see the relay server settings. Relay server host, port and url_suffix are all there and are the correct ones.

For your second suggestion, I could not find the "connection profile" you mentioned. The simulator and device I am using are both Bold 9700. I clicked options->Applications. Clicked on the application icon which shows the regular details of the app(for eg. title, version, vendor etc.) . I am providing the relay server settings in the code using SUP blackberry api.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.