Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
hooplad
My Device: Not Specified

Question reguarding COD file sizes

Salutations to all.

I am in the process of porting a midlet to the BlackBerry and I have met with a problem regarding acceptable COD file sizes. The nature of the project is best described as "Shovelware" and must contain a large set of HTML files whose size is determined by the customer.

Although shrinking down this data set is an option in reducing the overall size of the midlet ( as I have already experimented and succeeded installing a slimmed version), I would like to know if anyone has suggestions, workarounds, or specifications in how the BlackBerry platform treats/restricts large midlets. I am aware of the size restriction on COD file sizes, but there must be a way around this. The desired project size in COD form is about 9MB which consists of ~5000 HTML files and ~148 source files.

The midlet was written, compiled, and tested using:
  • Eclipse Ganamede
  • J2ME Polish 1.3 Beta 3
  • BlackBerry JDE Component Package 4.6.1
  • BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator 4.5.0.55 (8100), 4.2.2.75 (8300) 
  • BlackBerry 8330
  • Desktop Manager v4.7

Errors when attempting installation on simulator/device:
  • Simulator gives no indication of failure besides the midlet's icon not showing up under applications.
  • After pointing the Desktop Manager to the ALX file in the Application Loader screen, a dialog pops up saying, "No additional applications designed for your device were found"

Thanks in advanced,
Mark
Please use plain text.
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Question reguarding COD file sizes

[ Edited ]

If a cod file is big (bigger than 64 KB, in some cases a bit larger than 64 KB) - then rapc compiler splits it on so called sibling cod files and pack them into one cod file, which is a zip file on its nature.

You can create one big cod file. After that rename it to zip file. Unpack it and delete zip file.

And you'll get a set of cod files with names myfile.cod, myfile-1.cod, myfile-2.cod,..., myfile-x.cod

And to install an application just install all of these cod files to device.

If you're using JDE 4.6.1 you have to use simulator for device OS 4.6.1 and newer versions.

It is not recommended to run apps compiled on JDE 4.6.1 on older device OS-es, like 4.5

If you want to run your app on device OS 4.5 - use JDE 4.5

There is a simple rule - JDE version (equal to RIM API version) has to be less or equal to the device OS version.

An application which violates this rule may brick the device.

Before converting your midlet to cod file - run preverify.exe on this jar file. And specify path to the relevant net_rim_api.jar library as a parameter to preverify command. It is necessary to verify the byte code compliance with RIM API.

When you get "No additional applications designed for your device were found" - the common advice is to update your Blackberry Desktop Manager.

But you're using the most recent version - in this case make sure that your application that you're adding has been added and the message just appears after your application has been added to the applications list.

I've noticed this message several times, but it did not affect on the functionality. The application was added to the applications list and was installed properly.

Message Edited by tbilisoft on 21-01-2009 06:39 AM
Please use plain text.