Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
balote
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Questions about saved websites

Good day,

When we save a website; say cnn.com, it's icon will be saved in the homescreen.

When you run it, it automatically opens the site on the blackberry browser.

On to the questions:

1. Is it possible to run a different app from that shortcut? Say, open it with opera browser?

2. If it is possible, is it programmatically doable?

3. Are there apis for use in this situation? (ie http filter registry, chapi, push registry?)

Developer
jwargo
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Questions about saved websites

You can't save web site (URL) on the home screen. You an push an icon to the home screen for the site using Push (either BES push with browser channel or BIS push using Web Signals) or you can download a site's Web icon which  launches the site when you open it.

There's no way to have either of those options launch Opera. The browser channel or web signal will open in the appropriate blackbery browser and the Web Icon will do the same.

The only way to do it is write your own Java application and in it launch Opera. I'm not sure how you'd pass the URL to open to Opera (haven't tried it) and I don't know whether subsequent versions of the Opera browser would break your application (by changing the identifier used to launch the application).

New Developer
balote
My Device: Not Specified

thanks for the info.

andrewmacadelaide
My Device: Bold 9700

Hi,

In your reply to someone elses question you made the following comment

"or you can download a site's Web icon which  launches the site when you open it."

I have spent the last 30 minutes trying to get this to happen on my BB, but when i save the page it saves to my message list rathern than my home screen.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Developer
jwargo
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

Newer BlackBerry devices have the ability to 'Save to Home Screen' which essentially creates a shortcut to the URL on the BlackBerry Home Screen.  Only supported on newer versions of the BlackBerry Device Software.