Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
JasonBourne
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8320

RCC code signing keys from certicom

Hi ,

I have read through the forum posts on using the certicom crypto api.

However, my question is not covered in those posts.

Below is the Note as given in the Java code signing page (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/codekeys.jsp)

Note: While the core set of controlled APIs is covered by the RIM API signature keys, certain cryptography classes related to public/private key cryptography contain technology from Certicom. Certicom code signing keys are now included in the set of keys available from RIM. Signing your applications using these keys will provide access to the Certicom Cryptography APIs.

I would like to confirm whether i have to obtain the RCC code signing keys from certicom or does
the RBB, RRT and RCR keys from RIM covers the certicom API.

Thanks All,

New Developer
mobiledevfan
My Device: Not Specified

Re: RCC code signing keys from certicom

From my experience, it seems that it is not covered. I got my application signed with three code signing keys from BlackBerry and can not access class DSASignatureVerifier which is a certicom class.

However in webpage  "http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/codekeys.jsp", there is a sentence "The following classes use technology from Certicom. Registration with RIM allows access to these classes.". It seems it should be covered.

From web page, http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/4.6.0api/net/rim/device/api/crypto/DSASignatureVerifier.ht...", it seems we need to contact certicom to get the license. I contact centicom with email ( sales@certicom.com) or phone (613-254-9258) several times and I got no response.

The documents are so confusing!. Would some one clarify for us?

Thanks

New Developer
mobiledevfan

Update: I got my RCC key. The support email I used is devsupport@rim.com.

The following is what I got from RIM.

There is no charge for any RIM ISV to use and distribute these algorithms with your BlackBerry application.

Due to the recent acquisition of Certicom by Research In Motion, I am very pleased to be able to offer you access to the Certicom Cryptography APIs on the BlackBerry free of charge.  RIM has recently changed their terms and conditions for usage of the BlackBerry SDK to allow us to provide these keys free of charge and I have included a copy of the updated terms and conditions for you with this message or online at http://na.blackberry.com/eng/legal/sdkla.jsp .

To obtain your keys, please send an email to devsupport@rim.com with the following information about your existing set of code signing keys:

Originally Registered Name:

Originally Registered Company name:

Originally Registered Email:

Originally Registered PIN:

We will issue you a set of Certicom code signing keys for your use within the next 2 to 5 business days.  If you do not already have a set of code signing keys, please request a set of keys including Certicom keys here: https://www.blackberry.com/SignedKeys/

Good luck.

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

That's great to hear.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

I received my RCC key and installed them successfully. It was even easier then what @mobiledevfan said.

I sent an email to devsupport@rim.com saying I bought my keys prior to RCC being included, how do I get it? I got a response back a day later from RIM saying that they found my information from the purchase of the key and they filled out the information for me and requested it. About 2 hours later I got an email with the key.

Translation:

Send an email saying you bought the key prior to when RCC was included (if that is when you got it), how do you get it.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
New Developer
CharlesZA
My Device: Bold 9700

I got the same problem in my app now and have been waiting 24 hours for a reply from RIM. I even tried to apply for new signing keys in the hope that will work but also been waiting for close to 6 hours on that even when the mail said 2 hours max.

Any help here?

Regular Contributor
meghana_datar

You get 3 signing keys ie RBB,RRT,RCR, now RCC is required for OS 5.0 most probably elspecially when you app access secure API calls for eg : encrypt data using RSA algo. You can order them as steps specified above.

RCC was later replaced with RRT for OS 6.0 + is guess. Hope this helps