Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
cs-jpb
My Device: Not Specified

RIM 6.0 Application Permissions problem

I have an application that works from 4.2.1 to 5.0.  

The application consists of 5 modules that are loaded by a single jad file.  I also use a httpfilter and inject keystrokes, so I need those permissions.  

Before RIM 6.0, I was able to get these permissions for all 5 modules by asking once during the installation process.  However, in RIM 6.0, permissions are now only being granted to the module that asks for them, which is the installer.  The other modules don't get them, and therefore get the Controlled Access Exceptions.  

I have been able to grant each module the proper permissions, but that means 5 different permission popups, which completely degrades the user experience.

Does anyone know if RIM 6.0 changed how permissions work in regards to a jad file and the cod modules underneath it?  Is there a way to go back to getting all the permissions for each module at the same time?

(I am using the new Torch phone for all the development, on ATT.  It is not a problem of deprecated permissions, because it works on OS 5.0)

Cheers!

~John

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Re: RIM 6.0 Application Permissions problem

welcome to the support forums.

i did not experience this behavior so far, but did not test much with OS 6. can other people confirm this?

would be a serious problem for my own apps as well.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Trusted Contributor
imre_m
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Q10

Hi!

I also did experience the same using OS 6.0, on older versions the same code works fine.

The 6.0 API doc says that the invokePermissionsRequest of the permission manager should request permissions for all application modules: "Any permissions that are approved are applied to the calling application module and all its dependencies".

I install over OTA an application having two dependent libraries. On OS 6.0, after invoking the permission request, the libraries do not get their permissions updated, just the main application module.

However if I manually edit the application's permissions from the options menu, the settings are applied correctly to all the modules.

Is there any solution or workaround?

Regards,

Imre

--
If you find this post useful please Like it.
If it solves your problem please mark as solution.
New Contributor
cs-jpb
My Device: Not Specified

I had to get something out the door that worked properly, and no one seemed to have found a solution or even had this problem.

After an Over the Air download, and the standard RIM installation, we pop a wizard that runs and registers the user for our service.  In order to get the permissions to work properly, I had to have each module ask for permissions.  

Since having six permissions requests (there are six modules) is not ideal in terms of User Experience, I looked at each module and determined if it could make due with just the trusted application status that RIM gives it.  

I determined that I only needed three permission requests.  I also told the user to expect three permission requests during the installation wizard, and using a database flag, I timed each request to happen one after the other in the installation, so that they were shown in a controlled fashion.

I don't know what will work for you, but I hope this helps you find a solution!

Trusted Contributor
imre_m
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Q10

Thanks for the advice.

I also did the same workaround for OS 6.0, so now multiple permission request windows pop up during setup. Unfortunately this degrades user experience, especially if there will happen to be too many modules.

I had to rebuild the modules as application type projects (hidden from the BB menu), and added to each the required permission handling logic.

During setup each module is launched as a standalone application, thus the permission inheritance problem is avoided. (Every other try resulted that only the main app managed to get the requested permissions.)

On older OS versions the same application seems to work as expected, without the need for the multiple permission requests.

Regards,

Imre

--
If you find this post useful please Like it.
If it solves your problem please mark as solution.