Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

RIM Controlled APIs

Hi, can someone explain to me what a developer has to do to use RIM Controlled APIs? The information on the site is not very clear. What I see is registration and payment $$. Does this payment cover all RIM Controlled APIs or a developer has to pay for each package or everytime you compile and deploy the application that uses Controlled API to the device, you pay?
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: RIM Controlled APIs

The payment is a one time fee.  There is not limit on the number of times you can use an API or the number of applications you can sign.

Once you purchase signature keys, you are sent a set of files to install on your PC.  Once installed you use the SignatureTool (part of the BlackBerry JDE and BlackBerry JDE Component Package) to sign your application.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

MSohm wrote:

The payment is a one time fee.  There is not limit on the number of times you can use an API or the number of applications you can sign.

Once you purchase signature keys, you are sent a set of files to install on your PC.  Once installed you use the SignatureTool (part of the BlackBerry JDE and BlackBerry JDE Component Package) to sign your application.

Hi MSohm,

I have a question, if I develop a midlet, and it uses some rim api, Do I have to sign the app??

Can you explain a little further please?

Thanks in advance!

My Device: BlackBerry Passport

If the MIDlet makes use of a BlackBerry API that requires signing, then yes, the MIDlet would need to be signed.

The JavaDocs display a signing required note if an particular API needs to be signed.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker