Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
aemason
My Device: Storm 2 9550
Accepted Solution

Rapc command line question.

So I am very new to blackberry developement but I have found an inexhaustible amount of info(from this forum and experienced developers).  I have read many posts on command lines regarding the rapc.exe file from random google searches.  My problem is that my .cod files are too large.  I understand the maximum bytes allowed in a .cod file is 64Kb, unfortunately my files have reached a size of 90Kb.  I can not delete images and unused classes because all of them are very functional and needed.  

I have heard wind of a command line that can be input to rapc.exe that will set -slicesize=NNNN and -datafull=NNNN as a solution to my very problem.  This seems too technical for my situation, maybe I am not using my head today.  The problem is I am having difficulty figuring out how to add these command lines, or what that even entails.  My blackberry app is only several weeks from AppWorld deployment I just love to test it on my own blackberry as point and click does not create the same user experience as on a touch phone.  

I know there are many great developers on this forum, and I understand that there are alot of excellent programmers.  Can someone help me conquer the "noob sensation" that I am feeling right now and guide me with a slightly dummed down version of the technical explanation.  

In short, how can I add the command lines named above into rapc.exe preferably with out using 3rd party programs, or editing a file output by the compuler.  I would like to set up the compiler to ignore future size warnings for .cod files, as long as it is not bad practice. 

Thanks in advance! -Andrew Mason

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Re: Rapc command line question.

Welcome

Are you getting an error that the COD file is too big (which has happened with some people) or are you just looking at the file size and see it's over 64kb?

Take a look here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/COD-file-size/m-p/280034/message-uid/280034/...

What your seeing may just be code and resources combined into one. At the same time, if the size exceeds 64kb, RAPC automatically splits the file into multiple COD files.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
aemason

Yup you guessed it, I am indeed getting the .cod file size error.  It seems that code signing pushes the .cod file too large and therefore it aborts code signing.  I noticed on the link there is a solution to add my images and sounds to maybe a user library.  This might help a bunch, just need to research doing this.  I'm very close to deployment, I just need to sort out this problem, will post with updates, thanks for the quick reply.

Developer
aemason

Ok.  I was way overhtinking this, I guess it is easy to limit the size of your .cod's by simply making extra source folders.  I made two additional res folders and split my resources evenly among them.  There were lots of work arounds that seemed like more work than they were worth.  This was a quick and easy solution.  Thanks for the link it helped a bunch got my brain moving.