Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
muke80
My Device: Not Specified

Recommended BlackBerry Handsets for Development

Hi,

I am new to BlackBerry Development and would like to know the  list of recommended BlackBerry handsets for development purpose. I have comipiled below list (Resolution wise)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BlackBerry Handsets

1)      480x320 ( BB Bold 9000 - Total: 1)

2)      480x360 (BB curve 8900, Storm 9500, 9530 - Total: 3)

3)      240x320 (BB Curve 8300, BB Pearl Flip 8200, BB 8800, 8820, 8707g - Total: 5)

4)      320x240 (BB curve 8310, 8320, 8330, 8330 World Edition, 8350i, BB 8830, 8700 series -Total: 9)

5)      240x260 (BB Pearl 81xx, BB 7130g - Total: 5)

6)      240x160 (BB 7290 - Total: 1)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Can someone please suggest which handsets should I buy out of each resolution category?

thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBDeveloper

Re: Recommended BlackBerry Handsets for Development

Is the application if planning to develop does has many Images used and resolution dependent applications?

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

if you want to invest that much you could also consider to partner with rim. i don't know the details but you get test devices for free i think, maybe it is better than buying them all.

i would also not go after resolution that much but more after the assumed target groups and features.

going through your list, just my opinion:
7290: too old. without a client requesting it i would not touch it. it runs 4.1 as its latest installment and i consider 4.2.1 to be the basic OS with most things i need.
81xx: i would get one of them. the reduced keyboard makes some applications unfeasible and the very small screen calls for optimization ui-wise.
8310 and 8700: both are very common.
8900 and 9000: always good to have some up-to-date devices to test compatibility on newest OS versions.
9500: the storm is needed because of the new touchscreen.

i would get other devices on demand.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
muke80

Yes, application has many UI screen (and therefore images).

I already have BB bold 900 but need help decide about others. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBDeveloper

As Simon suggested, you could choose the OS you would like to support and the same will run on the devices which has the same os and greater than that. Example, if you choose baseline os as 4.1, the application will run on devices which ahs os 4.1 and greater also.

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

not totally up to date but maybe helpful nontheless:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/110673-useful-latest-os-all-models.html
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.