Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790

Recording and playing audio possible at the same time?

In my application, I am offering the feature to listen to music and to record audio at the same time. This is done by using a dongle for audio recording plugged in into the audio jack and the headset plugged in into this dongle. This means, the headset is connected to the device through the audio recording dongle.

The problem is that recording and playing audio at the same time seems to be not possible. Playing music works fine, but as soon as I start recording (using the dongle), the music is switched from Stereo to Mono sound (only audible on one ear) with a worsened music playback quality.

Is there a way to play and record audio on a BlackBerry at the same time without quality loss?

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Re: Recording and playing audio possible at the same time?

Do a search for duplex audio and/or VoIP. People have gotten programs to work and there is a large amount of discussion about it.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

[ Edited ]

Asked about this 2 years ago. Answer from RIM at the time was that some devices can, some can't. Some were able to run 2 codecs at once, most could only run 1. Back then I think the only one that could was either the 9000 or 9700.  I don't know how the 1-way phones do regular calls, but apparently for 3rd-party apps some can only do simplex.

Developer
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930

silver20 wrote:

Asked about this 2 years ago. Answer from RIM at the time was that some devices can, some can't. Some were able to run 2 codecs at once, most could only run 1. Back then I think the only one that could was either the 9000 or 9700.  I don't know how the 1-way phones do regular calls, but apparently for 3rd-party apps some can only do simplex.

8520, 8900 and my flip phone (don't know the number) can do duplex audio. All 9xxx phones running OS 6 and later can do duplex audio, and some 9xxx phones can do duplex audio even in OS4.6 and OS5.
silver,
There is no such as a oneway phone. All phones can do duplex audio. It is just that RIM decided not to expose the duplex audio capability to third party apps. Starting with certain number of OS6, RIM exposed the feature for us.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

iirc you have to launch play and record at the same time using threads (on devices that don't support it officially).
as rcmaniac25 suggested you should search for topics about that, there are some lengthy threads about it.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter