Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Airtel

Request is not going through GGSN server on my Blackberry app supported from 5.0 onwards

Hi All,

I have developed an app for Carrier.

However, the very first network request  that is supposed to be Hit should go through GGSN server which add my MSISDN to the request header.However, it''s not going through it.Required MSISDN is not getting added to the request header.I am using get request method for my Network hit.

Howerver,  the same thing is working on other platforms(Android, Iphone).They are also using get request method for hitting up server.

We have tried cordinating with our server Team.But they are not  able to figure it out what causing the problem in my Blackberrry App.

Is there any extra parameter, i need to send along with request for BB.

Please help me in getting through this.

Thanks in advance.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Request is not going through GGSN server on my Blackberry app supported from 5.0 onwards

[ Edited ]

I don't understand this area very well, so perhaps my experiences are not useful.

In layman's terms (layman because I don't understand the complexity), a carrier supported application I work on sends its request to the Server via one of these mechanisms - WiFi, BES/MDS, BIS, WAP.  Now the order given is pretty much the order that will be used by the app on the grounds that the first 3 are free for the user, the last one (WAP) will cost the user (depending on their data package off course, it might not cost but it will eat into their data usage).  So for example, if the user is on WiFi, the request will be sent directly using WiFi.  On BES and BIS, the request goes through a BlackBerry gateway.  Only the WAP sent data will be sent via the carrier gateway. 

Because the app prefers any communication method to WAP, typically the request goes through another gateway (not the carriers) and so the carrier augmented data tjhat is added at the carrier gateway is not sent on to the server from a BlackBerry. 

As an example of what this means, the app on the BB supplies the phone number on the request, while on other platforms, this is added by the carrier gateway. For this application we have agreed that the potential cost to the user of putting things through the carrier gateway would reduce the product's perceived usefulness to its users, so the BlackBerry app adds information to the request that other platforms do not. 

You could do the same, in other words, you could add the data you require in the BB  app and use WiFi, BES and BIS, or you have the option of directing your requests via the carrier gateway. 

If you only want the carrier augmented data on the first request, you could change the BlackBerry processing so that it always sends the first request via WAP. 

I believe Direct TCP will also go through the carrier gateway, however to use that you will need to know the APN settings for the carrier the user is currently on.  So this potentially provides another option instead of WAP.  If you know the device is on your carrier's network, then you can set the APN values in the request as required by your carrier and so make sure the request is directed through the carrier's gateway.

More information on this and the different paths that network requests can travel is available in included in many Threads on this and other forums. 

Here is a good place to start if this is fairly new to you:

http://developer.blackberry.com/bbos/java/documentation/intro_networking_1984362_11.html