Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
dilmerv
My Device: Not Specified

Requesting tips for Developing a Mobile App

Hi All,

As an programmer analyst I develop a lot of applications in Microsoft .NET to accomplish different tasks that users request as an ample we currently have an Inventory Database to keep track of all the the computers, cell phones, air cards, and other devices in our company, our challenge is to create a mobile extension of our inventory that will enable users to access it using their wireless device.  At some point I did develop a blackberry app using the Visual Studio Plug In but I found out that it has been set to be discontinue, moving on I download it all the tools to develop java applications in Eclipse as an alternative.

Information from our environment

1) We have BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.7 running.

2) Current amount of Users 70 - All have BlackBerry Curve 8310.

3) SQL Server 2005 that contains our Inventory Database records.

4) I've also Created a Web Service to retrieve the information from the database.

My main questions are:

1) How could I build the application so that only Internal Users can access the web service? How could I authenticate the users within our LAN?

2) How do I access the Web Service?

I'm pretty new to all these I apologize the ignorance.

Thank you

Regards

Dilmer Valecillos

Please use plain text.
Developer
jwargo
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Requesting tips for Developing a Mobile App

The MDS component of the BES enables your bb users to see internal resources (servers) without exposing any open firewall ports. So, as long as the bb users are on your BES and your admins haven't opened any firewall ports they shouldn't have, they're the only ones who can see the service from their BB devices.

As far as authenticating the users goes, there's several ways you can do it. First of all, if your web service is secure, then it's going to return an HTTP error (I think it's 401) and your application will need to add the credentials to the HTTP headers and submit them with the request. It's just XML over HTTP, so standard authentication applies.

You access the web service using the JSR 172 capabilities (http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=172) built into any device running BlackBerry Device Software 4.3 or higher. You need to use Sun's tools to generate the Java Stub classes your application needs to access the service then load them into your application and call them. RIM doesn't publish anything that shows how to do this (that I've been able to find) so I've written a complete set of articles that walks you through the whole process (using a Domino web service) at my web site (www.johnwargo.com).  I'll attach the articles, I'm having trouble with my site right now.

Please use plain text.