Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
jgdelia
My Device: Not Specified

Retaining persistent data after application deletion

I initialize my persistent data in a static object in the same class that creates the fields for the user interface.

I found a posting that states " If you would like your data to remain on the device after your application is removed then you would want to leverage a system class (like hashtable)...", whereby a class of my creation extends a system class. Do I move the code from the static object to a class that extends String? I want to insure that the persistent data is retained in the event the cod file gets deleted or I update my application with another cod file. Any and all advice would be welcomed.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Retaining persistent data after application deletion

Please see the following link.

How To - Handle stored data when removing an application
Article Number: DB-00424

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800647/How_To_...

As long as your persistent data is compatible with the new application you are installing, it should remain on the BlackBerry when the user upgrades your application.  If it has changed, the user will receive the error outlined here.

Support - Unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000011] when upgrading a third-party application
Article Number: DB-00446

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800651/Support...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker