Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Right Side Convenience Key on 8320 Simulator

Hi All,

I have a J2ME Polish Application. I converted that into COD using RAPC command. Then loaded Java Program in 8320 simulator (present in component pack 4.5). It was installed successfully. The application opened properly.

Now i have two commands Select (Left Side Convenience Key) and Exit (Right Side Convenience Key). Left key is working, but Right Key is not working. If I come out of application using Menu->Close. The Right Key is invoking camera properly.

I tested on Storm simulator also, as this has touch interface, the Exit worked fine here.

I am not sure what could be the issue.

Thanks and regards,

Sandeep

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Right Side Convenience Key on 8320 Simulator

convenience keys can be assigned by the user only

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Hi Simon,

Thanks for reply. Does that mean that we can't use them through Code? So how can we handle the right command of a J2ME polish application in non touch screen simulator.

Best regards,

Sandeep

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

see the impl notes on http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/5.0.0api/javax/microedition/lcdui/Canvas.html the trackball/wheel is mapped to the key-commands
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Hi Simon,

Thanks for reply. I researched more on the issue. If I use Canvas then we have keyPress() method available. Here we can check if the keyCode is -19 (RIGHT KEY) and perform the required functionality.

But in case of Form we don't have keyPress() function. We can add support by adding a CustomItem. But this will work only when focus is on CustomItem. So if I want to exit on Right Command (which works fine on Nokia Phones), it seems Blackberry is not allowing to use RIGHT KEY in Form directly.

I thought as per  this link the porting would be smooth. But it seems direct porting of a J2ME application on Blackberry is not possible.

Please correct if this understanding is fine.

Best regards,

Sandeep

Developer

Am I wrong or the keyPressed() event is too slow on BB?