Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
shaan_softwaredvlpr
My Device: 9500 series
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Rtsp live Streaming over edge

Hello Friends..

I got stuck in live streaming over EDGE network..

Streaming is working well on on WIFI network but when i shift to Edge network. it does'nt support..

Currently by using Player class i am just passing the URL in it..

As we know that we need to append something to define the network type in URL..

i feel i am doing something wrong dere.. or is dere any alternative to support RTSP Streming over EDGE..

I will be very thankful to u..

Please help me out.

url = <....ur sreaming url ....>;interface=wifi        // if using WIfi network

url = <....ur sreaming url ....>;deviceside=true       // if working on simulator

On Edge i am getting APN setting is not secified.. after enable .. me getting tunnel failure exception..

Without setting APN how can i run it over EDGE

UiApplication.getUiApplication().invokeLater(new Runnable()
		{
			public void run() 
			{
				try
		        {
					_player = Manager.createPlayer(url);
				}
		        catch (Exception ex)
		        {
		        	Dialog.alert(""+ex.toString());
		        }		
			}
		});

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Rtsp live Streaming over edge

Hi there,

APN settings are required if your device is attempting to make a connection over Direct TCP through the Carrier Network. I would highly recommend the following two articles regarding APN:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Different-ways-to-make-an-HTTP-or-socket-con...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Specify-APN-information-for-a-direct-TCP-con...

Note that users can specify their APN settings directly in the device options. APN credentials are carrier-specific and would need to be populated with the appropriate values before this sort of connection can occur. If you are using EDGE for Direct TCP, you will need APN settings one way or the other. The first document outlines some other alternatives from Direct TCP (Carrier) and WiFi.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Erik Oros

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.
Developer
shaan_softwaredvlpr
My Device: 9500 series
My Carrier: Airtel

HI Oros

Is there any way by which i can get APN settings progamitically

Thanks

Please use plain text.
oros

Hi there,

APN settings in the Options can not be retrieved or set programmatically, though they can be appended to a URL and supplied programmatically with a specific request. As APN credentials very rarely change, it's possible to build up a database of these from resources around the web.

But to your question, these can not be retrieved programmatically; though if they exist, will automatically be used.

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.
oros

[ Edited ]

Actually, on a closer look, there are a few getAPN functions available:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.0.0api/index-files/index-7.html

However I haven't used these myself before (aside from the one corresponding to ConnectionFactory) and I'm not 100% clear whether they retrieve the APN of the device, or the currently connected carrier service.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaywhy13
My Device: Blackberry 9780
My Carrier: Digicel

Doesn't the ConnectionFactory negate the need for using suffixed strings in the url?

Please use plain text.
oros

ConnectionFactory would help identify which routes are available, and would create the strings (with appropriate suffix) for you. But the suffix still needs to be present for a explicit transport selection.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaywhy13
My Device: Blackberry 9780
My Carrier: Digicel

Sorry... total n00b here... You're saying use the connection strings IFF you want to explicitly select the transport? Does using the ConnectionFactory negate the need for the suffix strings? In other words, can I just tell the factory my preferred methods and then just open a connection trusting that it would have selected only the ones I specified (given I probably also disallow the ones I don't want to use). 

Please use plain text.
oros

You don't need the ConnectionFactory to pick a specific transport, the transport is determined by the suffix:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Different-ways-to-make-an-HTTP-or-socket-con...

However, performing your own checks whether a certain transport is available, and then constructing your own string based on the results can be tedious.

ConnectionFactory will essentially provide the connection for you based on the available/preferred transport routes that you specify. An example:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Sample-Code-Using-the-ConnectionFactory-clas...

So yes, ConnectionFactory will create that connection for you without you needing to specify the suffix strings (because ConnectionFactory sets the suffix string behind the scenes.)

Please use plain text.