Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
RileyGB
My Device: Z10

Re: Rumors says that QNX devices will arrive soon, Blackberry COLT.

[ Edited ]

simon_hain:

i highly doubt that they will support BB OS applications. they even have problems integrating BES and will only support ActiveSync, i doubt that the BES customers will be happy about this.

They very specifically stated in the OS7 Webcasts that BBOS apps WILL be supported in QNX. Why would you doubt them on that point?

Follow me on twitter @RileyGB - https://twitter.com/RileyGB
View my BB10 OpenSource projects - https://github.com/RileyGB/BlackBerry10-Samples
Developer
shnuffy
My Device: Bold 9700

Any time somebody or something is trying to sell you on a new product, take their claims with a grain of salt. RIM execs have been known to "say anything." 

That said, not supporting BB OS apps would be suicide. Having a large app pool is a huge asset; it's why people have smartphones these days, even BlackBerrys. App World, with its apps, is worth hundreds of millions of dollars if not more to RIM. They can't abandon it. Right?

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Not without "commiting suicide" as you said.

For me I doubt that the "Colt" will be the first "real" QNX phone. Just like how there are 7 BB7 phones that range the scale from "low-end" to "high-end" (depending on how you catogorize them), I expect that the "Colt", if it does turn out to be real, will be the low-end QNX phone.

It was stated, when QNX was first announced for BlackBerry, that it would be pushed off until dual-core phones are more cheaper. So to say we won't release the phone until dual-core phones are out, and to then say the first QNX BB is a single-core phone. Sounds a little too fishy for me.

As for the BES thing, being that the PlayBook is the "testing ground" for this all, if Dev-Con comes and goes and no native PIM are on the PlayBook, then I would get worried about the QNX BB. Otherwise, the framework would be there so it wouldn't be tough to have BES on a QNX BB.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

i don't doubt that RIM wants a BB-OS player for QNX, and i believe there is a team working very hard on it.
I doubt that the player will be ready when the first QNX phone comes out.

It was generally agreed upon that the PlayBook is a very nice device, but released half a year early minimum. It is missing many crucial features, not only an own mail client but also the aforementioned players.
On the other hand, 6 months is a long time in this market, and the technology will have moved on.

Personally, i hope that the QNX phones come out well polished, with BES support, BB-OS player (and android player), but i fear this is not going to happen, as RIM is desperate to bring something, anything, up on the table to calm analysts and shareholders.
Their shares are on an absolute low, and several companies could currently buy RIM, and if only for their patents.

Take all this with the history of announcing things that never came, or came a year late at minimum, and you have some developers that look very critical at things.

I hope that I (and my company) can just continue BB OS development and sell stuff for the "old" devices until a player comes out.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
sblantipodi
My Device: Not Specified

Porting software is expensive, our sellings on RIM dropped by 50% and it will continue to fall.

Our apps is one of the most appreciated in its section, but BB buyers are now less than before.

I don't know if we will continue to support RIM in this "unstable" situation.

A video from RIM made with a phone running android...

http://www.telefonino.net/RIM/Notizie/n27859/RIM-un-Android-nello-spot-del-BlackBerry-Torch.html

Developer
peter_strange

English text version of clip here:

http://www.smartkeitai.com/rim-advertises-htc-android-in-blackberry-torch-9850-fan-video/

Think this is a blooper rather than a indicator of direction. 

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Agreed, I think the camera man messed up.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
sblantipodi

in any case if Playbook haven't got a Java player I canìt understand why the next QNX devices will have it.

Surely they are working on the java player, but IMHO it should be ready when the devices will be ready and I really doubt about this.