Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
inkhaton
My Device: Not Specified

SQLite suport and documentation inconsistent

[ Edited ]

SO I was excited to include an SQLite databse that is available in OS version 5.  Great.. I wanted to store the databse on the devices' internal memory.

It says in this technical overview that is possible for ANY DEVICE RUNNING OS 5

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/11945/SQLite_714136_11.jsp

While developing, I consulted a manual online that told me here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/8682/SQLite_file_locations_719036_11.jsp

That the in addition to SDcards the databases can be stored on the device in either "system memory" or "device memory". According to the text, you can either store it on device memory, and for the Bold and Storm you can store it on system memory as well. GREAT!

I proceed to develop apps using device memory since its most compatible with all models and doesn't need an SD Card.

After a while, I start to have strang problems in testing and I am very confused.

After many hours of searching the internet and digging through documentation, I happen across a note buried within the java api documentation located here:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/5.0.0api/net/rim/device/api/database/DatabaseFactory.html

The note says:

"Note: A SD card is the preferred storage for databases, currently Storm and Bold are the devices that can create databases with internal memory."

seems like the previous documents on the reference are HORRIBLY INCONSISTENT and wasted much of my time and nerves

But wait.. there is MORE!

So they say "Storm and Bold"

I guess its up to the developer to figure you that Bold means "Bold 9000 ONLY" becuse that is the only one that allows databases on the system - the "Bold 9700" allows SD card ONLY databases.

I would just like to find  out, if there is anyone at RIM at all who can clearly tell me which models are supported in which modes. Please.

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Re: SQLite suport and documentation inconsistent

This is a user on user forum, MSohm is the only real RIM emplyee who posts here and does it only on weekdays. So don't expact RIM to respond.

On to your post, the deocumentation has many problems, I would say post this on Issue Tracker so that RIM will see it and you will be able to see if it gets fixed.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
inkhaton

Thanks. I submitted one.

This seems like such a weird decision to me. Why not allow the same performance on all devices with the same OS? Should i be creating a separate app for all devices?

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

You don't have to. The UI code is designed so it will change to fit different screen sizes and as long as you do a "lowest denominator" style build you can get it on as many devices without creating multiple projects. Preprocessor helps too.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
inkhaton

Yes but the issue here is that all devices do not support the sqllite database the same even if they all have OS 5. 

Contributor
dsa157
My Device: Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

While I am equally frustrated by this discovery, I was really glad to find your post.

I have spent the last 2 days trying to figiure out why I was able to create my database on the internal store for the Storm and Bold 9000 but not the 9700!

Is there *any* subdirectory wriatebale under "store/" that is supported by the 9700 or is it definitely SD card only for SQLite databases?

Dave

New Developer
Spedge

Just been bitten by this one too. Does anyone know what the code of the issue it was he raised?

Stuart