Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
juszczec2
My Device: 8800
My Carrier: verizon

SSL Socket and different BB connection types

Hi folks

I've identified the following BlackBerry connection types and the following strings that must be appended to the url in order to allow/force their use:

1.  connection made from simulator, with mds simulator running       ";deviceside=false"

2.  connection made from simulator, NO mds simulator running        ";deviceside=true"

3.  BIS connection      ";deviceside=false;ConnectionType=Xmds-publicX"

NOTE I added the 2 X's you see above, the forum rejected the post without them

4.  BES connection    ";deviceside=false"

5.  wifi connection    ";interface=wifi"

6.  WAP2 connection  ";deviceside=true;ConnectionUID="+uid of service record whose cid contains wptcp and wap2

but does not contain wifi or mms

7.  TCP connection ";deviceside=true"

My app is creating a secure socket by opening a url of the form ssl://serverName:smileytongue:ortNumber  I'd like to verify all these different connection types can be used to create a secure socket.  Can anyone confirm this?

I'd also like to know what an mds simulator is and should I account for it (or whatever mds is) in any of the other connection types?

Thanks

Mark

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: SSL Socket and different BB connection types

I am not aware of there being any BB restrictions on connections that are supported for secure sockets so I would happily attempt to establish a socket connection using any of the methods you have identified. 

I would have two reservations:

1) carriers may have their own restrictions, so options for WAP and carrier TCP may be restricted by the carrier gateway.

2) I suspect you will struggle through some gateways to connect to ports other than the standard ports, i.e. 80 and 443. 

To understand the role of the MDS Simulator you first need to understand the role of MDS.  Glossing over some details, MDS applies in a corporate (BES) environment.  Corporate phones will connect using an encrypted tunnel to this.  The MDS runs behind the corporate firewall, which means BlackBerry devices can gain access to corporate sites via this connection - it is a bit like they have VPN'ed in.  MDS Simulator is just a package you can run on your PC so that you can simulate the use of MDS in a corporate environment. 

Anyway you use ";deviceside=false" to connect to:

a) the MDS Simulator if you are running on a SImulator

b) The MDS running behind the corporate firewall, if you are running on a corporate BB.

Can I recommend this video to you:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Networking-Transports-II/ta-p/446742

Please use plain text.