Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Sample BB app built with libraries

Seriously:  Has anyone actually managed to use Eclipse to develop a BB application that uses a user created library?

I've tried all sorts of machinations - and yes - that includes all the archaic information in the knowledge base about building jar files and adding to your project.

I've pored thru countless techniques in eclipse to add jar files to project.  No matter what the technique I get one of 3 possible scenarios:

1.  The project (not the jar) failes to build - rapc failing saying it couldn't find the reference jar file

2.  It builds.  However, when I start it in the simulator, it barfs immediately saying he can't find the modules 'XXX"' where XXX just happens to be the name of the jar file (less .jar)

3.  I builds.  However it apparently won't install in the simulator.  No message, no nothing.  The app simply doesn't show up anywhere on the simulator

I've reduced this to pretty much a bare  bones app.  I have a hello world app that compiles/links with a jar file.  Admittedely the jar file is more than trivial - it's a bunch of extened UI classes I received from RIM.

I guess I can change my jar file to be trivial, but come on....seriously...will this hound hunt?

Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Sample BB app built with libraries

Try this:

Craig A. Green's Blog - BlackBerry and .NET Web Services

It shows how to create a library project using kSOAP2. The smae method can be used to include other libraries. When you eventually deploy, you compile both projects, and merge the .jad files into a single .jad (there are forum posts pertaining to this), and distribute the code as you see fit.

Hope that helps,

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Sample BB app built with libraries

"2.  It builds.  However, when I start it in the simulator, it barfs immediately..."

This is exactly what I would expect, in the JDE when I do this:  If you have defined your jar as an external library, then the system assumes that it is already on the device, just like it assumes all the RIM jars are on the device.  So you need to convert  the jar to a cod, put it in the SImulator and all will be well, at least that is how it works in the JDE.