Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
dan12345
My Device: Bold

Security Timer - PROBLEM && SOLUTION - recurrent asking of permissions.

I have been using this forum for a few months to help me develop for the blackberry, and I realised it's been a one way relation, so I decided from now on to contribute myself :smileyhappy:

Anyway - The problem:  some users complained they got "Application * is trying to reset the security timer", again and again and again.

The security timer, is the one that takes care of things when user is idle, i'm not sure if it effects more things, but mainly it effect the backlight. In options->advances options->applications->edit permissions->interactions->security timer , you can see if a specific application has permission to play around with the timer.

The reason users got this messages, was because i was using calling Backlight.enable() every 5 seconds, to disable the backlight - which makes the OS ask for the security timer persmissions. 5 seconds wasn't enough, since users didn't have enough time to check the "allow/don't ask again", and thus they were continously bombarded with permission requests dialogs. The reason only SOME users got this problem, was because only on SOME user's phone the default permission for security timer for downloaded application wasn't ALLOW.

So the fix was to use Backlight.setTimeout to a longer period than default - 4 minutes, and then just call Backlight.enable every 4 minutes. That way users will surely have enough time to check the don't ask again dialog in the beginning, and also i don't need to call that timer every 5 seconds.

That's it, Hope this helps anyone, anywhere, anytime.  :smileyhappy: