Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

rhc
Regular Visitor
rhc
My Device: Not Specified

Security Timer dialog appearing during video playback using Media Player in signed application

I’m having an issue with “The application Demo is attempting to reset the Security Timer.” dialog appearing during playback of a video file. Only some devices appear to do this, I have been seeing this occur on a BlackBerry Torch 9800 version 6.0 Bundle 278, developing using BlackBerry JRE 5.0.0.

What is confusing is that the media player displays the message, but only if a restricted API is included in the application (even if the restricted API is not called) and the application needs to be signed.

Going into the Device -> Application Management -> selecting the application then setting Permissions to Default (which then displays Custom) will cause the message to appear. Changing the setting to Allow will mean the “…is attempting to reset the Security Timer.” no longer appears.

However, our team is concerned that the appearance of the message will be concerning to consumers and spoil their experience.

As a test, I used the BlackBerry EmbeddedMediaDemo Sample, which played the blackberry video without the “Security Timer” message appearing. However, adding any code that results in signing to be required will then cause the message to appear during playback.

E.g.. adding int width = Display.getWidth() inside the constructor:

public  EmbeddedMediaDemo()

{

EmbeddedMediaScreen screen = new EmbeddedMediaScreen();

pushScreen(screen);

int width = Display.getWidth();

}

From the stack it appears that the Media Player is attempting to enable the backlight:

Message(Object).wait() line: 480             

Proxy(Application).invokeAndWait(Runnable) line: 3046              

BackgroundDialog$ShowDialogDisplayRunnable(BackgroundDialog$DialogDisplayRunnable).runInCorrectProcess() line: 195               

BackgroundDialog.showOnProxy(PopupDialog, int, boolean) line: 642   

PermissionDialog.getPermission() line: 145         

ApplicationControlDialog.getPermission() line: 56            

ApplicationControlImpl.doPromptWork(int, ResourceBundleFamily, int, int, int, int, PermissionPromptDialog) line: 3436               

ApplicationControlImpl.doPromptWork(int, ResourceBundleFamily, int, int, int, int) line: 3256   

ApplicationControlImpl.doPromptWork(int, ResourceBundleFamily, int, int, int) line: 3219           

ApplicationControl.assertIdleTimerPermitted(boolean, ResourceBundleFamily, int) line: 1107   

DeviceInfo.canResetIdleTime() line: 759              

Backlight.resetIdleTime() line: 280          

Backlight.enable(boolean, boolean) line: 83       

Backlight.enable(boolean) line: 108        

MMAPIMediaField$BacklightTimer.run() line: 475           

TimerThread.mainLoop() line: 437           

TimerThread.run() line: 375        

Any insight on why the media player displays this message on signed applications, and if there is any way to avoid the message appearing would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Visitor
WanderingTurtle
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Security Timer dialog appearing during video playback using Media Player in signed application

Hello,

I've run into the same problem and was wondering if you had come across a solution or work around. In my case, the video is very short, so simply preventing the Media Player from attempting to reset the idle timer would also be an acceptable solution.

Right now my only "solution" is to check the application permissions prior to playing the video and skip playing it if a warning dialog will be displayed.

Thanks

Regular Visitor
jakov
My Device: 9800

Re: Security Timer dialog appearing during video playback using Media Player in signed application

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem.

I also asked at Stack Overflow: