Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
newbie100
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Sending PUSH in a BES cluster ?????

Hi,

I have an environment where there are 4 BES servers (using Lotus Notes), and 500 devices registered to each.

Now I seem to be able to send PUSH messages to 2 devices registered to different BES servers, using a SINGLE

PUSH IP address.

The two devices have different services books that identify different SRP's so I know they are registered to different BES servers (The administrator has also confirmed that independently)

So my question is :--

In a setup where there are many BES servers, can I send PUSH messages to ALL devices using a SINGLE IP address ????

Thanks

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Sending PUSH in a BES cluster ?????

Hi,

Yes, you're seeing the intended behaviour - only a single BES is configured as a central push server using BlackBerry Manager. It's the responsibility of the central push server BES to then distribute any push messages to the user's home BES for delivery on to the target device. This is possible since all the BES share a common configuration database. You should therefore be using the IP of the BES designated as the central push server.

A common deployment issue when rolling out a push application such as this is that the company's balanced all users across the BES servers equally (with one of them 'happening' to be the central push server) - however, in a high throughput push application, the central push server should not be as heavily loaded as the non-push server BES (or in extreme cases no load at all) since it's also having to process all the inbound http push connections from your application on top of it's normal functions.

Hope that clarifies things.

James

CTO | DevelopIQ
www.developiq.com