Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Sending SMS on the iDen network

I have an app that sends an SMS message programatically based on certain user actions. However users on 8350i on the Nextel iDen network are complaining that this send-sms feature does not work. They are able to manually send SMS using the default SMS app just fine, just not through my app. Upon investigation in the consumer-facing forums, I saw many complaints about even being able to send SMS manually on the iDen network.

I use Datagram and MessageConnection, i.e. if one fails I try the other (because I believe one works better on GSM and the other on CDMA). Apparently on iDen, neither one works.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a third magical way? 

Developer

Re: Sending SMS on the iDen network

Post is old enough that you are probably beyond the problem, but for others that search here the following is from  article KB19246:

Cause

The IDEN network does not support SMS messaging.  The IDEN network will only support MMS messages. 

You can send your message as an MMS message to the recipient.

Additional Information

If you would like to use email to send an SMS message then complete the following:

1. Open the messages icon on the BlackBerry smartphone.
  2. Click the menu key. Then click compose email.
  3. Then send an email to the carrier's SMS email with the recipients 10 digit mobile number.

Here is a list of some wireless service provider SMS emails:

T-Mobile: <phonenumber>@tmomail.net
Virgin Mobile: <phonenumber>@vmobl.com
Sprint: <phonenumber>@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: <phonenumber>@vtext.com
Nextel: <phonenumber>@messaging.nextel.com
US Cellular: <phonenumber>@email.uscc.net
AT&T: <phonenumber>@txt.att.net
Alltel: <phonenumber>@message.alltel.com

Where <phonenumber> = 10 digit mobile number

Developer

I had the same problem - couldn't open a new SMS message window on the 8350i. I believe that on the 8350i, the SMS and MMS functions have been almagimated. The solution I think is to open a new MMS window instead of SMS.

Scott

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8350i
My Carrier: Nextel

OK people, If you want your BB 8350i to be able to have the "Compose SMS text" option just follow these instructions, and let me know if it works for you guys:

1) Go to "Options">"SMS Text",

2) Where it says "Data Coding", change it to & make sure it says "UCS2",

3)Where it says "Service Center", type: +13348000011 and click "Save",

4) Try to MMS someone and make sure it sends/receives MMS normally from your handset,

5) Do a battery pull and now it should appear the "Compose SMS Text" option when you press the BB menu button.

*Note: I'm a Nextel postpaid customer so I'm not sure if it works for Boostberrys, so just let me know =)

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8350i
My Carrier: Boost Mobile

Jzvi12,

Your post was very helpful. I have a 8350i on the Boost Mobile network. I already had the "compose SMS" option, but couldn't send SMS for the life of me. The service center number you gave was what I needed to make it all work, however the data coding setting "USC2" would send blank SMS and was limited to 70 characters. WHen I tried the "7-bit" setting it all worked fine. I can now send SMS with my 8350i (on the iDEN) network just fine. 

MMS seems to be the phone's default though. So, as before when someone sends me an SMS it appears the same as an MMS and it sends out replies in the same format. The SMS composition screen looks different from the MMS composition screen.I would imagine that apps that send SMS by default could now do so. I am still working on it all, but thank you for your helpful info. It was my missing piece of information that opened a bunch of doors for me to spend my day opening. lol :-D

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9850
My Carrier: Sprint

Thanks, this fixed the problem of not being able to send SMS, although the Nextel Berry is still receiving the SMS as MMS.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History