Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Sending message to self

I need to notify the user of some event by placing a message in his inbox. I can do it by using folder.appendMessage() but that does not trigger the actions that the profile does when a message is received.

I read in KB article that applications can communicate through SMS, but the example shows how to set up an SMS listener. The developer guide shows how to send SMS to other numbers.
Is there any way I can send a SMS to self, basically get the buzzer/LED triggered as normal SMS without incurring cost on the end user?
In other words, what is the loopback address of SMS?

I tried using NotificationManager by giving the id of the Messages source but it doesnt  create the message.

Regards
Rohit

Retired
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Sending message to self

Rohit,

With the lack of a proper profiles API on the device today, my recommendation would be integrate your application with the notification API on the device such that the user can select a notification mechanism for your application (such as vibrate, tone, etc) for your notifications.  Then when you have placed the email in the inbox and need to notify the user simply look up the value selected by the user in their current profile and notify them using that mechanism.

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations