Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
VBRefugee
My Device: Torch 9850

Re: Set Background code doesn't work

I see where you're coming from (at last, you say :-), so I've marked this as a solution, given you kudoos and also given RexDoug Kudos because of his suggestions.

Thanks, jMarc.

Developer
jMarc
My Device: Not Specified

You're welcome, John, I'm glad I could help.  Hopefully it gets easier with practice, eh?

Marc

Contributor
VBRefugee
My Device: Torch 9850

jMarc

It is getting somewhat easier.  Thing is, it is taking me 3 times longer to do something than it does when I'm coding in VB. (Of course, there's a good reason for that:  I started with VB at version 3 which was more years back then I care to admit.)

I really do appreciate your help. It's the kind of help a beginner needs -- a push in the right direction with enough background information that the underlying concepts can be understood.

You may not realize how good you are at helping novices. I hope you can find time to post more often to those like me.

John

Developer
justindutoit
My Device: Not Specified

Hey RexDoug.  

"The Manager class tends to assume only the size of it's contained field(s)."

What would you do to overcome this problem- e.g. A HorizontalFieldManager with two VerticalFieldManagers inside. The one on the right contains a text field which you don't want to truncate, an dwhich could spill over onto more than one line, making the HFM taller. The VFM on the left, which has a bitmap with a solid color background underneath, looks wrong. A white gap shows under the solid bg (it fudges with padding to get the color, which only looks right when the text is one line).

If you don't know how high the VFM will be, how would you set its whole bg (under the bitmap)? USE_ALL_HEIGHT stretched the HFM container to about the whole screen height, and other things, no go.

Thanks

J.