Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9780

Show Location from IP

Hi,

Has anyone got any code to replicate this service on the Blackberry 6 API, please?

I wish to be able to input an IP and get it's location (city/country). It doesn't need to show the location on a map but if it does it would be perfect.

Have gone through this list but they don't seem to cover it

Thanks in advance

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Please click 'Kudos' if my reply has helped you

My Homepage

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Show Location from IP

Remember that if you are connected via wireless, your device's IP address will be allocated by the gateway you are connected to, if you are connected via Wi-Fi, your IP Address will be allocated by the NATing router.  So even if you can find your own IP Address it will be pretty useless in attempting to find out where you are.  In the case if Wi-Fi, you will get the location of the router.  In the case if wireless, you will get the location of the gateway. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9780

Re: Show Location from IP

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply

I am not wishing to get the devices' IP at all but check the location from where e-mail IP's originate when I am away from my develoment machine, server, laptop etc. It wouldn't matter if the Blackberry is connected to 3G or Wifi because I am just using it as a reference. Once a basic app is written I will take it further.

Basically wish to mimic the same thing as I linked to before but for the Blackberry and yes I can load up that site although I wish to distribue freely the app on my website as a tool other Blackberry users who are members of my site can download/use. So, still need the code and pointing in the right direction as I am very new to Java. For the Windows phone version I will be using Visual Studio.NET 2010 Ultimate with a language I already know. Will also use the JDK for Android phones but I don't have the code for any of them except ASP.NET 4, hence my original question

Have looked through the location samples on this site, which aren't even close to what I wish to do

Thanks again for the reply

Please click 'Kudos' if my reply has helped you

My Homepage