Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Show "Icon + Counter" when app recieves event.

[ Edited ]

Quote from the previous forums:

Show "Icon + Counter" when app recieves event.
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 1:34 PM
In this posting the term '<b>event</b>' refers to an <u>Email, SMS, MMS, Facebook or Socket</u> type event as I have not yet decided on this.

I want to display an icon + counter at top of blackberry desktop when my application recieves external event. Here is example of Blackberry voicemail icon with counter;

http://home.comcast.net/~erica.ramsey/images/BBDe sktop.png

and notice the "2" in front of tiny cassette icon indicating there are 2 new voice mails.

If this is not possible then are there any alternate solutions to indicate that my java app has X number of events that require attention? Also, I guess something would have to incrment the "Icon + Counter" pair too! Maybe my app can quietly do this in the background.

Third party applications are able to do this when using BlackBerry JDE and BlackBerry handheld software version 4.6.0 and higher. 

In previous versions you can change the icon and/or title of your application that is shown on the home screen to indicate new events.  This can be done by using the HomeScreen class.

Message Edited by MSohm on 07-22-2008 03:30 PM
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Show "Icon + Counter" when app recieves event.

With the release of the 4.6 JDE, we have added a new API to allow you to add notifications into the home screen banner using the ApplicationIndicator class in the messagelist package.

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations