08-08-2011 10:43 AM - edited 08-08-2011 10:54 AM
I have developed an application using the BlackBerry JRE 6.0.0 (BlackBerry Java Plugin for Eclipse version 1.3.0) and prepared it for sideloading. After installing the .jad file onto a device running the right version to be compatible with the 6.0.0 JRE, I find that the app has installed fine (seemingly) but when I try to click the app icon, nothing at all happens.
This is what I've done to side-load the app:
- Go to the "deliverables\Standard\6.0.0" subdirectory of the project, and copied the .jad and .cod file to another, empty, directory
- Change the .cod file to a .zip file, and then extracted it to the current location (this results in many .cod files)
- Deleted the .zip file
- Uploaded the multiple .cod files and the one .jad file to a web server, and browsed to the .jad file from the BlackBerry browser
- Chose to install the application (didn't set permissions)
The installation process finishes without errors or warnings. But, as I mentioned above, when I click on the app icon on the BlackBerry, nothing at all happens. No errors, no warnings... nothing.
My app previously imported a package which RIM has marked as secure, which would mean my app needed to be signed. Instead of signing the app, I removed the requirement for that package. So now no signing should be required (based on the packages I'm using.) And I'm not getting the errors I was previously getting when I tried to run the installed app when it had needed to be signed.
Also, when using the simulator the app works fine. Both loaded through eclipse the normal way (Run As -> Blackberry Simulator) and by sideloading.
Do you know what might be the cause of this problem I'm seeing?
If you need any additional information, just let me know and I'll gladly provide it.
Thank you in advance for any help you provide.
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-08-2011 10:54 AM
08-08-2011 10:57 AM
My deliverables/Web/6.0.0 directory is empty. Is there a manual step in the IDE I need to perform to deploy to this folder?
I'll check the logs and see if they are of any help as well.
08-08-2011 12:34 PM
The log simply says:
Name: Application Control
Time: Aug 08, 2011 11:42:31
I couldn't find any other useful information.
08-08-2011 06:22 PM
I suspect there is an error in the initial startup o the app that you are not seeing. Look at the Event Log, which you can do from the 'Home screen' (the one displaying all the icons, and then press and hold the Alt button, while typing the 4 characters L, G, L, G. Look for errors reported on your device.
Alternatively, you can debug on device:
can I confirm that the device you have loaded this on to is running at least OS 6.0?
BTW, I would call this Over the Air (OTA) loading, side loading I would call when you do it from some other mechanism not involving OTA, such as loading it from the SD Card. But that is just me.
08-08-2011 07:12 PM
The error I mentioned above (not descriptive at all) is the only one mentioned in the log.
When the app is run on a device the normal way (launched through Eclipse) it works fine. Also, it works fine on the simulator. Only installing from the .jad file causes this problem.
I'll take your word on the terminology... I'm very new to all things BlackBerry. I was under the impression that OTA installation was a subset of side loading.
08-09-2011 03:02 AM
08-17-2011 08:30 AM
I found the problem eventually... In the code it was using Display.getWidth(), but I wasn't signing the app. For some reason the device I was testing on didn't bring up a signing error when launching the app. Getting ride of this call to Display solved the problem.