Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
gcaza
My Device: Storm 9550

Sign with custom codesigning keys

I want to protect what my app writes to the persistent store, using a codesigning key.

I was able to use example code to control the access to the persistent store. I've also been able to create the custom .key file.

I realize I can use the File Signer app to apply the .key to a .cod file, but I'd like something more automated that can integrate with our command-line build process. Right now, the signature tool is being called with rapc command-line parameters (password, etc.) and is working just fine.

Is there a way I can modify the command-line to also use the .key file and do the custom signing? I've been able to also generate a .csi, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't think I can register it with RIM like I did with the three basic .csi files.

Anyone know?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Sign with custom codesigning keys

Hello gcaza,

To automate signing with your custom key, you will need to issue yourself a public .CSI file using the Signing Authority tool and then you can register it in the same way that you registered your RIM keys.

When the Signature Tool then attempts to sign your application, it will contact RIM's servers for the RBB, RCR, and RRT keys, but it will contact your server for the custom key. The BlackBerry Signing Authority service can be set to start automatically and will handle any signature requests as they come in.

If you have the signing authority installed on your own PC, this will ensure the easieast form of accessing the tool. Otherwise, you will need network connectivity to the host server of the tool in order to receive proper signing.

Unfortunately you can not sign directly with the .KEY file. Let me know if you have any questions.

Erik Oros

BlackBerry Development Advisor

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.