Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: airtel

Signal strength + data network type available.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I want to know, is there any relation between the signal strength of the network(that is the indicated by 5 vertical bars on top right corner of the device) and the coverage text (that is edge,EDGE, gprs or GPRS etc) displayed next to the signal indicator.

If yes, i need to find out the strength of the network data type(gprs/GPRS/edge/EDGE etc) being used.

Is it possible? Looking forward for some help.

Thanks a lot.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Sigal strength + data netwrok available.

[ Edited ]

You can get Signal Strength using this :

RadioInfo.getSignalLevel()

and network name using

RadioInfo.getCurrentNetworkName()

What else you want to know please tell us in detail?

Contributor

Re: Signal strength + data network type available.

[ Edited ]

No, this is not my question. I need to know if there is way of knowing the frequency that the network data type is using like if the no of bars showing the signal strength increases or decreases ,does it affect the network data type being used i.e. say if signal indicator shows two bars active, edge will be the network type and with three bars active, it will switch to EDGE and so on. Is it so?if yes, i want to know the frequencies on which this switch takes place.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Signal strength + data network available.

I don't think it is as simple as that.  Network strength and the protocol used to send packets are not actually related.  You may be EDGE with 1 bar or 5 bars - it all depends on the support provided on the phone and on the mast the phone is connected to.

That said, I have never looked to see if there is an indication of which protocol the wireless network is using - but as noted, it is not directly related to the signal strength. 

PS.  Any chance you could spell check your posts?  Correctly spelled English is a lot easier to read....

Contributor

Re: Signal strength + data network available.

Thanks and Sorry peter_strange.