Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
mrmwax
My Device: Not Specified

Signing 8300/8100 vs 8800

I am having trouble with the 8800 series accepting a signed cod file. I am using the same jad/cod on all devices.

When I install the Jad/Cod on a Pearl or Curve series device, it installs fine and my application is able to access sockets on port 80. When I try and install the same file on an 8800 series device the installer tells me that the cod file is unsigned and the application throws a SecurityException when opening a connection.

The same cod also installs properly on a 8700 series device.

Some Info:

- I am using rapc to convert a Jad/Jar into a cod and then signing the cod file. 

- All devices are OS 4.2.2 or 4.2.1.

- I am using rapc version 4.2.1 and SignatureTool version 4.3.0.

- The cod installs properly on these devices: 8830verizon(4.2.2os), 8320tmo(4.2.2), 8830sprint(4.2.2), 8100tm(4.2.1), 8100att(4.2.1), 8700tmo(4.2.1).

- It fails on 8800att(4.2.1), 8800tmo(4.2.1)

Is there some reason that it fails on the 8800 but no other devices? Again this is the same file for all devices tested.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
typerlc

Re: Signing 8300/8100 vs 8800

Not exactly what you've seen, but I've seen other strange behaviours when using newer versions of tools than the handset firmare version.

Can you just rule out that the problem isn't causing by using the 4.3.0 signing tool?  In otherwords, re-sign with the 4.2.1 signing tool, and see if that works.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
typerlc

A different suggestion, this problem might occur if the root key for the signing authority is not on the devices that failed.  I'm new to the Blackberry world, so I don't know what terminology RIM use to describe this.  But can you access a list of trusted certificates on your device?  If so, compare the list of certs on the devices that work, with those that don't.
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

What is the exception you are getting?  Is it a ControlledAccessException?  Is so, this relates to the Application Control setting on the BlackBerry, not siging.

A user can change these settings by going to Options, Advanced Options, Applications, select your application and choose Edit Permissions from the menu.

An application can also request a permissions change by using the ApplicationPermissionsManager class.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
mrmwax

Sorry, turns out this was a small bit of a false postitive. I still have some isses though.

All 8800 cdma based devices we have still complain about the application not being signed despite the file being signed correctly.  I talked at lenght with BB tech support about this issue. They seemed to think it was a browser issue, I do not.

The 8800att was failing because of a BES. Once it was no longer connected to our BES the device is able to connect through sockets on port 80. I am not sure if this is because our test BES is not configured correctly, or if there is a real issue here. 

The 8800tmo is still failing. The T-Mo network does not allow socket connections on port 80, it returns "502 - Bad Request" This happens accross all tmo BBs. I have no idea what to do if a BES limits connections to only port 80. 

So, here are my open questions:

- Why do the 8800s say that the app is not signed?

- If Tmo refuses connections on port 80, but a user's BES is restricted to 80 only, what options do I have?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

What is the exact error message you are seeing?

What route are you making your socket connection over (direct TCP or through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server)?

This article explains the 2 routes:

What Is - Different ways to make an HTTP or socket connection
Article Number: DB-00396

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.