Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
Digbads
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Signing Server Outage - July 11

This is a bit frustrating for me, and puts a damper on my day.  But its easy to cheer myself up, I just remember that it could be worse, I could be the database administrator who is having a very very very rough start to their week. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
NICK_312HOLDINGS
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Start?  This has been going on for 3-4 days now.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
pg1181
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Fido

I'm sure the lack of information from RIM is not Mark's fault but a consequence of the chain of command at RIM. I'm not allowed to talk about the internal's at my company I'm sure the same goes for them.

It's unfortunate and definitely getting costly for many developers, I'm sure we can all agree on that, but the best thing to do (at least in my case anyway) is work on cleaning up code, other platforms such as iOs or Android if you support them, wrap up things we've been putting off basically.

Mark, I'm sure this question has been asked but would it be possible to send us all an email when the servers are back up??

Thanks and good luck.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtp5120
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

RIM needs to do a better job about working with developers, no question.

RIM wants Apps, they're not getting them because they can't seem to work with developers, or at least clearly communicate with them. Let alone provide decent tools to their platform. This remind anyone of anything:

[0.0]

I sit next to our iOS and Android teams and the support they get from Apple and Google is phenomenal, heck the vendors that work with Windows Phone 7 have better support than what we can get.

< Inappropriate Content Removed >

--Todd

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600) | Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07) | Eclipse Version: 3.6.2 [M20110210-1200] | BlackBerry Eclipse Plug-in: 1.3.0.201102031007-19 | Java Compiler level: 1.3 | Targeting devices running OS 5 | Simulators: JDE 5.0 packaged 9700, 9630, 9300
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dgbutland
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: O2

@pg1181 - No one is asking for anything but an some information on what is wrong with the service so we can assess how long it might be before it is back online (at the very least is it hours, days or weeks) and some assurances that RIM will resolve this issue in the long term to prevent it happening again.

I know exactly what I'm doing during this outage. I'm setting up iPhone and Android development environments and will be porting my application much earlier than intended. The priority for deploying my app on different platforms has now changed and I may seriously reconsider even supporting this platform going forward.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
pg1181
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Fido

@dgbutland - I completely agree, but someone was asking about what servers they were using at RIM and a more technically detailed description of the problem, which I doubt they are allowed to share. But YES, having an estimated time when the servers will be back up and running would be nice.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Sinfuego
My Device: Torch

Since they don't appear to know what the problem is (they're still "investigating"), I wouldn't expect them to be able to tell us when the problem would be resolved.

The whole design is broke. Having to connect with the mother ship every time you package your app is broke. The KISS principle is long gone.

There's a lot of talk about switching to other platforms. I'm not sure about joining the Apple/AT&T Empire. The BlackBerry is much more of an open system than iStuff and I still respect RIM's focus on security and privacy. Not everyone wants their mobile device to also be a toy. But it's probably a good plan to take advantage of the App bubble before it bursts.

Please use plain text.
Developer
shism2
My Device: Not Specified

Seriously, I wanted to release an update today........

The signing servers should never be allowed to go down. You guys should have multiple backups in place.......
Please use plain text.
Contributor
codelogman
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: claro AR

How many time we need to stand by with the sign process?   that is the most important answer for us

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtp5120
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Verizon

Nothing still. I need to really reconsider my support for RIM and voice a strong opinion to my employeer about their support as well.

--Todd

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600) | Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07) | Eclipse Version: 3.6.2 [M20110210-1200] | BlackBerry Eclipse Plug-in: 1.3.0.201102031007-19 | Java Compiler level: 1.3 | Targeting devices running OS 5 | Simulators: JDE 5.0 packaged 9700, 9630, 9300
Please use plain text.