Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
calebhamilton
My Device: Droid 1

Re: Signing Server Outage - July 11

@GoldenJoe

I too would really like some more information on this.
Caleb Hamilton | Metova
www.metova.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
mreed
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

[ Edited ]

Thanks for everyone working to get the servers back up, however... things that should have happened from the start:

* Post should have appeared under http://devblog.blackberry.com

* Stated best guess why you think it is failing

* If the plan was to future-proof before bringing the service back, that should have been mentioned

* http://isthesigningserverdown.com was a weekend project, you should have made your own by now

Please use plain text.
New Developer
wolfier
My Device: Not Specified

mreed wrote:

Thanks for everyone working to get the servers back up, however... things that should have happened from the start:

* Post should have appeared under http://devblog.blackberry.com

* Stated best guess why you think it is failing

* If the plan was to future-proof before bringing the service back, that should have been mentioned

* http://isthesigningserverdown.com was a weekend project, you should have made your own by now

Totally agreed.

Mark, there's no reason to be so secretive - letting us know why things are failing gives us some solid evidence that somebody is working on it.  Can also help us make a good guess how long it's going to get resolved thus we can reschedule our work better in case we don't receive an ETA from you guys.

Also, this kind of outage has happened more times than I think is reasonable - if "measures are taken to ensure it won't happen again", please let us know what measures are taken and how we can quantitatively verify that future outages with this cause is either eliminated or will happen less frequently.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

Well....

I still get random fails on RTT....  very slow signing.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtp5120
My Device: Bold 9700

@mreed

Well said, well said indeed.

--Todd

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600) | Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07) | Eclipse Version: 3.6.2 [M20110210-1200] | BlackBerry Eclipse Plug-in: 1.3.0.201102031007-19 | Java Compiler level: 1.3 | Targeting devices running OS 5 | Simulators: JDE 5.0 packaged 9700, 9630, 9300
Please use plain text.
New Developer
burkaygenc
My Device: None

Bringing the servers back up is not really the solution to this problem. The solution is to abandon this monstrosity of code signing or at least provide developers the means to test their apps on their devices before they publish them. 

Most of you in this forum are software developers. I am an assistant professor teaching mobile application development in a university. You can't imagine the pain me and my students are going through in labs. Everytime a student wants to test his app on device, he has to go through the signing process which easily gets them bored after the first few labs and make them start looking for other platforms to develop.

Please use plain text.
Developer
GoldenJoe

@burkagenc

Why on earth is your university teaching BlackBerry development in the first place? Are they making you teach WebOS next semester? Start 'em out with Android. It's easy to set up and get running, and students could deploy right to their own phones.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
roy_kuapay
My Device: 9300

Its failing for me again... Is it just for me?

Please use plain text.
Developer
indusBULL

Failing for me as well
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
thegman54
My Device: Bold 9700

[ Edited ]