Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Signing Server Outage - July 11

[ Edited ]

The BlackBerry Code Signing Servers have been offline for most of the day and were experiencing intermittent issues over the weekend.  

Teams are working on this issue and we will have service restored ASAP.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Visitor
ak155
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Signing Server Outage - July 11

Is it so difficult to send a notice via email to the developer community that the code signing servers are offline? Is it so hard to have a redundancy plan in place to prevent this from happening again? You've cost our team at least 1 day of testing and I'm sure that this has impacted other groups more severely. If you insist that we sign our apps with your servers, you need to be more serious about maintaining zero down time with your service. Based on what I have seen from various blogposts, this happens more often that it should. Disappointing!

Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

Mark,

Do you have any ETA on the servers?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
dshanley
My Device: Not Specified

Hi - We are waiting on this as well.  It's urgent for us, as we have customers waiting on the update.

I think it's worth pointing out that both Apple and Google do not require code signing services that require dialing home to infrastructure.  We'd very much like to see your servers be taken out of the loop on this.  This is not the first time that this has happened.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
donturner
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 (White)
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

So the signing servers send tens of emails every time an application is signed, but RIM can't send a single email to us developers to let us know what's going on when they're down. 

This has been the longest down time since I've been a developer and the thing which shocks me most is the total lack of communication. "We're working on an issue" is virtually meaningless, no information about what the problem is, estimations on how long it's going to take to fix, updates on progress, how seriously it's being taken, steps to ensure that it won't happen in future etc.

I can plan around signing server down time, but only if I know what's going on. 

Sort it out RIM, you have enough problems already without antagonising your loyal developers.  

Please use plain text.
Developer
GoldenJoe

Ya know, all I had to do today was change the version number of my application. And you've managed to keep me from doing that. Bravo, RIM. Let me ask you something. Have you ever heard of BACKUPS? Did you stop to think, even for a second, that maybe it would be smart to restore the servers to a previous working state during the 9-5, and then take care of your problem in the middle of the night, when it would impact fewer developers? Or, crazy thought, CYCLING your upgrades so that you're never totally down at all?

But by this point, we all know it doesn't matter anyway. You've shown us time and again how you do do business.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
paulpv

This is absolutely ridiculous, and you are quickly losing the support of even your most loyal developers RIM!

Pv

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

We have been working on resolving this issue over the weekend and throughout the day.  It is a very high priority for us and we understand the impact it has on the productivity of third party developers.

Signing has been brought online with new hardware, but is running in a degraded state.  We continue to work on resolving this issue and will be monitoring the services very closely.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
afonsojunior
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: TIM

Ok, guys, after all this mess, do you have any prevision when it'll be back?

Oh, let me ask something people have not asked yet: do you know the advantages of Backup?

best regards

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dgbutland
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: O2

Can we have a definition of "running in a degraded state"? I'm still getting continuous signing failures and the odd delayed email telling me it signed successfully. Completely useless for actually progressing my development and deployment.

These servers have now been down for nearly 24 hours. This is totally unacceptable.

Please use plain text.